Chapter 12: The Warrior

Sarina ran blindly into the forest holding Alif, tears streaming down her face as she ran. She tripped on a root and fell, cutting her knee on a rock. She let out a cry of pain but got back up, looking around to make sure nobody was following. She heard the distant clang of steel from the direction she had come from, and her heart broke thinking she had left the Ranger to his death. But he had wanted her to. And now she had to keep his little nephew safe.

   She looked down at the child, and he smiled up at her, almost like he was encouraging her to keep going. She ran onward for what seemed like hours, not daring to stop until she decided it was safe. She collapsed against a large rock attempting for a moment to catch her breath.

That's when the forest caught fire.

It started out as a small light in the distance, flickering like a firefly, and then she smelled smoke. Within a few minutes, flames began to devour the trees around her. She looked in all directions, but saw only flames.

Suddenly, a tall, cruel looking man dressed in grey stepped from the fire only a few yards away. His shining mask reflected the flames, and he looked terrifying.

"What are you doing out here, all alone?" His voice was menacingly low, almost a growl. As he spoke, another man dressed the same as him stepped out of the flames behind him, holding a flaming brand. Three bow legged orcs followed. They must've started the fire on purpose, to draw Sarina and Gerithor out.

Sarina felt her heart thundering in her chest as fear threatened to overtake her, but despite this she rested a hand on her sword.

"I was just passing through when the forest caught fire," she said, voice quivering.

"Strange for someone to pass through the forest at this time of night." The man had a slight accent, and it made his words sound slightly more evil.

"Strange indeed," the other man mused, stepping forward and looking at her. "And she has a child."

"Enough talk, let's just kill her!" The largest of the three orcs said with a deep growl.

"Just a moment, Takrir." The first man raised his hand, stopping the Orc from moving toward her. "This one may be worth taking alive."

"Ach, what would she possibly be any good for. She looks weak." The Orc named Tarkrir said. "But tasty." He licked his jagged sword and looked at Sarina disturbingly. She shuddered and set Alif down by a tree, drawing her sword.

"You'll have to fight me before you do either!" She tried to sound tough but only managed to sound slightly frightened at best.

The orcs laughed maniacally. The men both looked at her curiously, wondering if she was serious. Just then the smallest and meanest looking Orc charged toward her, spear raised to skewer her. She blocked the spear thrust and slashed, barely missing him. The Orc spun around and thrust again, falling forward as she managed to dodge the attack and slash him in the back. He howled out and collapsed to the ground, wheezing in pain. She looked at the rest of the hunting party, expecting them to be surprised.

The orcs clearly were, but the first man merely raised an eyebrow. The second chuckled and spun his flaming branch around. Sarina looked at him fearfully as he approached her, sword drawn and holding the flaming branch. He smiled cruelly and swung his sword at her, almost carelessly. She blocked, but the strength of his blow surprised her and made her fall back. He smiled wider as she stumbled and he swung again, this time with even more force. She sidestepped this blow and swung at his face with her sword. He easily blocked it with the branch and swung that at her, narrowing his eyes as she fell to the ground. Standing over her triumphantly, he pointed his blade at her neck.