Chapter 26: A Shadow in Angmar

Arnakhor threw his helmet to the floor in a rage, making the scarred soldier standing before him flinch.
"He's coming here?!?" Arnakhor shouted. "That'll delay our next assault! We can't have that!"
"M'lord, he's just a ranger. It's unlikely he'll make it past the guards."
"He's not just a ranger!" The dark armored lord shrieked as he spun around to face the soldier. His face was contorted with anger and his blue eyes glowed like flames. "You fought him Relacar, you would know!"
Relacar flinched. "Yes, m'lord. We were taken by surprise and-"
"Silence!" Arnakhor roared, slamming his fist into the nearby wall.
Just then he narrowed his eyes. "Wait... Perhaps this will be better. Relacar, make sure the guards know to let the ranger slip past. I have a plan." He strode back to his throne as the scarred man went to do his bidding.
He had seen it in his dreams. The Lastborn would only die if he came to Angmar. He had killed him atop his tower in one of his dreams. The rest showed that the ranger would escape otherwise. By now he knew to trust his visions, the few ones he had never led him astray.
He sat down on the throne and mused. Yes.... This would be better anyway. He would get to kill the Lastborn himself.
===============================
Gerithor returned to the camp after spending a few minutes alone trying to figure out how to proceed. By the time he came back Eldahir was conscious. He smiled weakly as Gerithor approached.
"Thank you for the healing. I'm sorry I wasn't more aware, I fell asleep on watch."
Gerithor put a hand on his friend's shoulder. "It's over now, I'm just glad you're alright." He glanced over and saw Sarina sitting alone a little ways from camp.
"Has she talked to you at all?" Gerithor nodded over toward her.
"Not really. She made sure I wasn't in pain and then went over there." Eldahir looked sympathetically at Gerithor. "You're worried about her aren't you? I am too. She seems to be distancing herself."
"I've noticed," Gerithor said regretfully. He picked up a stick and began drawing in the dirt. "I don't know what to do Eldahir. If I can't keep our group together we won't be able to accomplish our task. It's my fault she's here in the first place."
"No, she made her choice. But I understand, it's difficult. Do you want me to talk to her?"
"It couldn't hurt. Remind her that she could go back at any time." Gerithor suddenly looked up at Eldahir. "Which reminds me... I think you need to go back."
Eldahir laughed. "Don't be ridiculous."
Gerithor looked at him seriously. "I'm not joking. I won't lead you into danger when you're wounded as you are."
Eldahir looked hurt, but tried to hide it. "No. I've come too far now to turn back. And my loyalty is with you friend."
"Eldahir, listen to me! You're wounded. You won't be able to fight."
"I'll do what I can. I'm not turning back though. You can't make me go." He looked pleadingly at Gerithor.
"It's ultimately your choice... I just..." Gerithor stopped.
"You what?" Eldahir looked at him in concern.
"Remember how I told you about the dreams I had about my father and mother?" Eldahir nodded. "I had one about you. I can't lead you in there when the chances of you surviving are so slim. You have to understand." Gerithor looked up, his face wrought with sorrow.
"Listen. I came in the first place knowing that our chances of succeeding were next to none. But I came because you're my friend Gerithor. And even now I'm still willing to follow you to death. Even though it seems much closer now." Eldahir smiled.
Gerithor didn't say anything for a long moment, and he looked torn. Finally he spoke.
"There isn't anyone else I'd rather have my my side in this fight. But try not to die alright?" He tried to sound lighthearted, but instead he sounded weary and broken.
"I'll do what I can." Eldahir smiled at him again. "What's the plan from here?"
"Well first off, can you stand?" Gerithor looked skeptically at the gash across Eldahir's chest.
"I think so," Eldahir stood slowly, testing his strength. "Yes, I'm alright." Gerithor thought he looked pale.
"Very well then. I want you to talk to Sarina first, and then we'll set off. We'll be to the gates of Angmar in two days." With that Gerithor patted his friend on the back and walked over to Kalan. Eldahir watched them talk for a moment, then looked over at Sarina. She was sitting with her knees pulled close to her body, staring out into the night.
Eldahir took a deep breath and walked over. She looked up in surprise.
"You shouldn't be walking, you're still weak," she said with concern.
"A scratch like this won't keep me down for long." Eldahir smiled and motioned to the ground next to her. "Do you mind?"
"Not at all." She said as she made room for him.
"Something's been bothering you." Eldahir looked over at her as he sat.
"Yes. I'm sure Gerithor told you." As she said this she glanced at Gerithor with sad eyes. "It was foolish of me to fall in love with him." She looked back ahead of her. "I should have known someone noble like him would never love a lowly Bree girl." Her voice quivered.
"Sarina, that's not why," Eldahir said softly. "Gerithor has been through a lot, you must understand. He's lost almost everyone he cared about. He doesn't want to grow attached to someone he may lose."
Sarina looked at Eldahir. "He wouldn't love me anyway."
"Why not? You're a special person Sarina. He knows your worth."
She didn't respond, and looked down at the ground.
"He cares very much about you." Eldahir wasn't sure what else to say. She was clearly very hurt, and he didn't know how to help her.
"Then why can't he love me? Why does it have to be so difficult?" She began to cry softly. Eldahir put a hand on her back.
"This is a harsh world Sarina. But eventually things will get better. You just have to wait for the right time."
She looked over at him and smiled slightly. "Thank you for trying to help."
"Just doing my job." Eldahir smiled back.
"You should get a few hours of sleep at least, we'll be traveling all day tomorrow and it'll be more difficult for you than usual since you're injured." Sarina looked at his wound as she spoke.
"It's not that bad. But yes. I'll get some sleep." Eldahir grinned and stood up.
"Don't be silly, you almost got cut in half. It's pretty bad." Sarina said, managing to laugh lightly. Eldahir laughed too.
"Goodnight Sarina." Eldahir said as he turned back to the camp.
"Goodnight Eldahir, and thank you again." Sarina said softly.
Eldahir smiled as he walked away.
===============================
Gerithor was the first one awake, and woke everyone else up an hour before dawn. He gathered them all together.
"We're getting close to Angmar now. I don't know the way, I've never been there. But we'll do our best. I know that Carn Dum is east once we pass the Angmar Wall. From there we can figure out the rest. Also, we'll be resting in the day and traveling at night from here on out. It will be easier for us to go unnoticed." Gerithor looked at each of his companions. Eldahir nodded approvingly. Sarina looked at her feet but she made it clear she understood by nodding as well. Kalan brandished his axe.
"Aye, sounds like a plan lad! Can't wait to give that Arnakhor fellow a beating!" He laughed and winked.
"Good," Gerithor said, unable to suppress a smile. The dwarf's optimism gave him hope. "Let's be on our way then."
Gerithor sprang off, and the three companions followed.
===============================
A lone figure shielded himself from the freezing wind. He pulled his black cloak closer and looked up, seeing the Angmar wall in the distance, it's jagged black sides standing out against the snowy landscape. They were a familiar sight. This time though, he didn't want to be seen. He stealthily approached the wall, and watched. He would get past somehow, he'd just have to wait. He made his way to a large outcropping of rocks, and decided to set up camp here. He took off his heavy iron helmet and threw his greatsword to the ground. He'd watch the gate and wait. However long it took.
===============================
The four companions made good time, traveling all day and through most of the night. Gerithor didn't feel tired now. The closer they got, the more his heart burned with anger. He was close to Arnakhor now. This was motivation enough to continue the journey.
They traveled until dawn, when they decided to set up camp in a grove of trees. Gerithor checked to make sure Eldahir was doing alright, then left the group without a word.
He needed to get away and think. The most relaxing thing for him was hunting, so be soon found himself following the trail of a small deer. The ground was cold and hard, so the tracks the deer made would have been impossible for a normal Man to follow. But Gerithor prided himself on his tracking skills, and soon caught up to the deer. It was a young doe, and was drinking from a small pond. Gerithor reached for an arrow, then decided against it and set his bow down. He watched the deer as it lazily drank from the pond, completely oblivious to the ranger's presence.
Gerithor felt a sense of peace that he hadn't had in what seemed like forever. He nestled down in the tall grass, making himself comfortable. As he watched the deer, his eyelids grew heavy. He soon drifted asleep to the soft sound of the creek and the quiet chirping of woodland birds that were just waking up.
===============================