Chapter 3- Father's New Enemy: Miniskirt

+ -    

Disclaimer: I don't own the rights to Fullmetal/Inu... but I do own a miniskirt.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edward was dodging as best as he could the flames that chased after him. He'd jumped out of the bed in a flash, although he should've stayed next to Kagome for his own safety since Roy would never hurt his own daughter. Kagome was up in a flash with widened and confused eyes as a wave of heat passed right by her face shooting at the departing Fullmetal. Edward had gone ahead and transmuted the floor into a shield in front of him, but he knew there was only so much he could do to avoid the Colonel. It was a small room with an even smaller bed, all he had on were very flammable boxers, and he'd been caught lying in bed with Kagome. Nothing would protect him. Alphonse could've attempted at helping protect elder his brother. Technically 'waking up' had been just Al shaking himself out of his own thoughts, but he had never expected that morning wake up call. And to be honest, Al decided to just sit back and watch because he knew that not even he could protect Edward now. He was on the receiving end of a furious pyromaniac father.

"Honestly! It's not what it looks like! I'm not that stupid! I just met her!" And before Edward was caught on fire, before Roy could kill him for waking up beside his daughter, Kagome had scrambled across the cold tiled floor and launched herself on Roy with her arms wrapped around his waist squeezing tight in an impromptu hug to stop him. Even though a part of her wanted to argue that he had no right to be burning Ed to a crisp for whatever he thought they'd done, she knew arguing wouldn't help at all in this situation.

"Colonel! Please stop! Ed's telling the truth," she pleaded quietly as the flames that came from his fingers halted. He was surprised that Kagome was holding onto him so tightly, the last time she'd hugged him like that was when he was supposed to leave after furlough, she'd cried and begged him to stay home. He'd had to have Rina pull Kagome away because she wouldn't let go of his legs. It felt so odd to have her little arms around him, she'd always been so little to him, but now that he was hugging her things seemed just a little better inside. He felt like a father again. Roy sighed and reached out to awkwardly pat a hand on her back, but then he let one arm sling around her to hug her. His eyes briefly met with Edward's and those eyes vowed retribution should Kagome tell him that Edward had made untoward advances on her. "I had nightmares last night and came in here. Honestly, Ed's too little to see me in that light."

Ed immediately popped out from behind the shield of concrete, piranha teeth flapping in annoyance, "Who'd you call so small you could crush with your heel?" Ed didn't even notice that the end of his braid was on fire until Alphonse pointed at it and then Ed was sent running to the bathroom to dunk his head in the sink. Kagome leaned back to look up at her father, whose hand was twitching at the fact that he wasn't unleashing all of his fury on Fullmetal, and gave a weak smile.

"Come on Colonel, I've got a little bit more respect than jumping into bed with someone right after meeting them. I've got a height requirement for guys I date," Kagome joked with a nervous laugh. Roy smiled brightly and said, just as Edward was coming back in with a soggy head of hair, "You're right! My daughter would never date a midget!"

"What? Why you! Who're you calling a midget so short he could be a hobbit? You egotistic Colonel! Your nose is so far in the air-" Kagome had to admit that riling Ed up was becoming a quick form of entertainment.

"Please don't kill my friend." With a pat to Roy's shoulder Kagome left out of her father's embrace and padded out of the room to go change in her own. As soon as Kagome was out of the room Roy's bright smile fell and he turned livid eyes upon Edward, who immediately backed up against the wall, hit full force with the electrifying air in the room that came from Roy.