Chapter 5-To Become A Father

+ -    

Rina Higurashi-

Hair lengthHair is past Sholders

Hair Color-Light Colored Brown

Eye Color-blue Eyes

A/N: Haha, you all loathe cliffhangers...you're going to hate me after this one. XD

Disclaimer: I don't own FMA or Inu... but I have a crush on Fuery. (^/_\^) -glomps the Fuery- Fu fu fu fu fu.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roy didn't want to call her. He knew he was going to call her, but listing the reasons for the call made him strengthen his resolve. He needed to know. He sighed, wondering if holding off on her training would've helped Kagome but he knew it wouldn't since she was suffering a soldier's troubles. He needed to know the answers to the questions in his mind. Roy faintly thought back to the other day when he'd asked his daughter to try her hand at hand to hand combat... Kagome had knocked him flat on his ass. He wanted to know how she was with weapons, Kagome had demonstrated swordsmanship that he hadn't seen come from cadets. And when a bow was in her hands she was a weapon. She'd astounded him with perfect shots, a bright light illuminating power from the arrow that hit the center of its target. She wasn't good with guns though, her aim was horrible and she flinched when she fired them. He wanted to know why he'd seen scars peeping from the hem of her shirt, something that he hadn't pressed with her fearing how bad her back was and how her response would be. The need to know overrode all sense of pride and fear. Above all of that, Roy wanted to be a dad. Any man could become a father, but it took something else act like one.

It didn't even take a full ring before she answered. But that was so like Rina, always prompt. "Hello?" The female voice asked hesitantly, waiting for whomever it was on the line to speak. It took a few seconds before he spoke up.

"Rina," just hearing her name with his smooth voice made her breath stop in her chest. It unleashed a flood of memories she wasn't ready for. "Kagome's sick... I'm taking care of her. I should've called sooner but..." His words trailed off with obvious reason. Since Kagome had come into his life of late he'd been blundering around more often, very out of his element and feel for normalcy.

"You were scared," she supplied with a bit of anger laced in her words.

"I didn't say that-" He argued into the phone. It had taken about two glasses of liquid courage though to get bold enough to make the phone call.

"No, but you were," she said haughtily. He still couldn't tell whether Kagome got her angry streak from him or Rina, they both could hold their own in that department. But he could certainly tell where Kagome got her spirit. "Well? Aren't you going to say something else?"

"What happened to her?"

"Why I ought to give you a piece of my mind calling after Kagome shows up at your door! After all this time you-"

"Rina, what happened to our little girl?" His weary voice halted her fury and Rina slumped against the kitchen chair. Her forehead leaned into her hand as her elbow kept her propped up. That word, our, had struck her heart. The way he said it was with such tenderness that Rina could barely believe this was the man that had left her all those years ago.

"You wouldn't believe me," she stated after a long silence.

"Try me... she mentioned Edo, but that was the name of Japan hundreds of years ago. I want to know what happened to our daughter." Rina debated on telling him; especially because she knew somewhere deep inside that he would understand and believe her. But she was scared that whatever bond he'd formed with Kagome would be lost if he knew and suddenly began protecting her. Rina had long ago decided that sheltering her daughter would do no good when Kagome had seen things Rina could never imagine. "Please Rina."