Chapter 6-What Father Doesn't Know

+ -    

If Alphonse had eyes they would've been the size of saucers and he was silent for a moment before he shouted out, "I'm sorry for interrupting! I'll come back later!" And the door was slammed behind him as Alphonse rushed out of the door almost as mortified as the two on the floor. You could've vividly imagined the red tint that would've coated the face of his armor. Edward's hand was outstretched towards the door as if to stop his brother from leaving and Kagome was just staring blankly. "Alphonse get back here," he shouted. Edward immediately jump up and hastily scampered into his seat away from Kagome as she awkwardly got up, both blushing like mad, and she decided to sit across from Ed instead of in the same seat. In a moment they heard the clumping of Al's feet and the door slid open.

"She fell is all," said Edward, not meeting his brother's eyes as he focused his attention outside of the train cart on the land whizzing past them. Alphonse looked over at Kagome who was just staring at the floor with wide eyes. He awkwardly sat beside his brother and, like the adorable kid he was, Al offered Kagome a sandwich and some juice.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A tall young boy came into East City only a day after Kagome had left, a spring in his step as he came into the base. The boy in question had shaggy black hair with long bangs. He had onyx color eyes that resembled someone else's that Riza Hawkeye was very much used to noticing. Riza automatically knew that she was looking at the Colonel's other child. She ran into his office and gave a salute before saying, "Colonel Mustang, I believe there is someone you need to see standing in our hallway." Roy grumbled, wondering if it was someone giving him another assignment to clean up. The military had a habit of botching their work these days.

As soon as Roy stepped out of his office he froze, staring at the young boy as if he'd seen a ghost. The young teen was looking around headquarters for a moment, just watching guys walk around in uniform with bright idolizing eyes. It had been very easy for Sota to get up the nerve to come looking for his father. Sota had always been envious of his big sister taking off on an adventure to defeat demons and so it was with little hesitation he'd paid for a ticket and jumped on a train to find his dad and sister. He'd begged his mother for days after that phone call he'd heard from the hallway until finally Rina Higurashi had agreed that it wasn't fair for Kagome to meet Roy and Sota not to.

Sota's head turned and he caught sight of Roy, his mother had a few pictures left of him and Sota had happily carried one with him to find his dad. Sota knew it was Roy as soon as his eyes set sight on the guy in the picture since he'd practically memorized every line of Roy's face from that long trip on the train. Where Kagome was slowly warming up to her father, Sota held no grudge as he called out, "Father!"

And Sota took off towards the one person in his life he'd always felt should be there to teach him the ropes of being a man. Before Roy could react a tall and gangly Sota was shaking his father's hand in his own with a bright smile on his face. Sota looked everything like his mother in the face, the only exceptions were his lanky form and his eyes. Those were Roy's eyes beaming brightly in a light that had been rarely seen in the Colonel's. "I didn't know Amestris was so big father," babbled a happy Sota, still shaking Roy's hand. His eyes widened as he stopped shaking Roy's hand and he quickly apologized, "I'm sorry for randomly coming like this!" Roy flexed his fingers a bit. It wasn't the shaking of the hand that felt odd... the fact that someone readily called him 'father' was like a splash of cold water to his body. Kagome had just called him 'dad' the day before, and though it elated him he was still getting used to it. "I didn't get a letter or anything from you and I was impatient after mom finally told me where Kagome was sent. When mom told me that you'd called because you were worried about Kags I figured if you were okay with meeting her than you would be okay with meeting me." Sota's mouth was going as fast as Rina's when she was nervous. The young teen glanced around as if expecting his sister to randomly appear out of nowhere. "Where's my sister?" Hughes and Havoc were walking in the vicinity, Hawkeye leaning against the hallway watching, and Breda was chuckling.