Chapter 17-Fathers Redemption

Disclaimer: Nope. I don't own Inuyasha or Fullmetal Alchemist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The promise had been kept. Kagome had tread on foot through brush and grass, alone well-worn roads, and always traveled amongst crowds with her head ducked or away from them. She'd yet to draw any attention to herself, sometimes confining herself to sleeping in people's barns or in the woods under the stars.

And so it was that she made it two blocks away from Maes Hughes's house and was currently sitting in a quiet diner. She was well rested from the cloak, not fathoming that it would work so well and being happily surprised that it did. It had been quite a journey, very reminiscent of the past with the nights she'd camped and scavenging for food on those days when it was safer to stay away from towns. Ducking into barns along the way had been a nice way to save cash and keep out of the limelight. She calmly sipped at her water and finished the bit of red cherry pie she'd ordered as a treat for the end of this journey. Though it was barely the end considering she'd have to find her way back to Edward afterwards. Kagome pulled up her hood; she'd purchased a regular gray hoodie that wouldn't attract attention. Just as the diner began to thin out she flipped out the few bills she had left and placed them on the table before heading out. Now began the real mission as she stepped out onto the dark streets of Central. She'd been lucky to catch wind of his transfer.

The Priestess Alchemist reached into her little sack, touching Ed's cloak for strength. It was dark. No moon was out to reveal her as she hid behind a dumpster in an alley. The street lights were sparse and no civilian wandered along the block. Patrols passed by her spot in the alley every twenty minutes. Security had tightened in this neighborhood. Kagome waited until the guards had been gone for ten minutes. And then she pulled out the cloak with a swish. The dark crimson might as well have been black with how dark it was, keeping her cocooned in secrecy as she walked along the street, feet soft as feathers and just as light. She spirited past the gate and her fingers stole over the doorknob. To knock or go in, that was the question?

To knock would ruin the secrecy and possibly prove detrimental should anyone hear it. To break in would prove just as dangerous if she were caught.

But this was his house. Her father's best friend. Maes. It seemed wrong to break in.

And so it was that Kagome raised her hand and lightly rapped. The lights upstairs flickered on. She tugged the hood tighter and prayed someone would answer the door before the next patrol appeared.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He saw the figure below. Red cloak. Knew, just knew it was time for questions... and proof that this was indeed one of his men. Without warning Kagome felt heat on her foot and began jumping up and down when she found her shoe was on fire. "First question, what was your response when I told you I knew your father, Fullmetal?"

Kagome conjured water particles from the air to dampen her foot and turned to glare at her father. He'd been hiding, every night keeping a vigil on the house for an hour or two before calling in his own men. Louisa was under strict instructions to open the door for no one unless he cleared them. The two eyed each other. "Kagome?"

Just like her father, she needed confirmation that this wasn't an impostor. "Before I went to bed, what would you make for me in the winter?"

The memory popped into his head and with it all the warm feelings it brought whenever he thought of the little time he'd spent with his children. "I'd tuck you in and warm a mug of milk in my hands so we could make hot chocolate," he stated. He remembered how Kagome would clap every time her father did it, he would charm a flame of candle to sputter brightly to life enough that he would heat Kagome's mug of milk with it.