Chapter 8 - Settling In

Emiko pov:

The mere thought of living as a part of a criminal organization and pretending to be criminals was depressing. But it had to be done for many reasons.

After Itachi had told me everything of his mission and what he planned to do from now on, we had sat in silwnce and basking in the comforting presence of each other. I was glad that we hadn't been disturbed by anyone, not even the man Itachi had been partnered with for missions. It had given us the time to let the situation settle in though only a little.

I finally stood up and held my hand out for Itachi to take. He watched me silently a moment with his deep charcoal eyes and I regarded him with a small smile and a coax to take my hand and stand. He did and I entwined or fingers before giving his hand a reassuring squeeze that I was with his and it brought a small smile to his lips as well, albeit a sad one.

It wrenched my heart but I didn't show it as I said, "You should introduce me to the other members."

He was reluctant but agreed, seeing that it had to be done. I couldn't be protected and sheltered here even if that is what he wished to do. I would have to be as good a criminal as I could to if I wanted to survive here. I had to be brave and ready to face scary people even though it made me incredibly queasy.

We walked through several corridors before reaching a large room that Itachi said was a sort of common room for all the members to hang out. Before we entered though, Itachi pushed me up against the wall and looked into my eyes intensely, worry filling in his own.

"Emiko, no one here knows that what I did was because of a mission. They think that I am a murderer just like them, because I wanted power. I want it to stay that way, do you understand?"

Placing a hand on his cheek, I nodded. "I understand."

"But you don't have to pretend to be strong like me. Just don't let them get to you." 

"I will be brave and strong, Itachi. I know I have to. Besides, I have you by my side so there's no reason for me to be worried," I said in an attempt to lighten the mood. It worked to some extent and Itachi smiled before letting me go and activating his Sharingan.

Holding hands, we then stepped into the common room. There were seven people in the room and all of their gazes were on us the moment we had entered. I felt a little intimidated under all their stares, and the fact that they were all bloodthirsty criminals had a queasiness rise in the pit of my stomach. I clenched my jaw tightly and did my best to not appear weak in front of them.

"Well, if it isn't the b**** who knows how to kick shins!" Hidan was the first to comment, laughing loudly after he had spoken. A few others seemed annoyed with his attitude but said nothing to silence him.

"Good to see that your wife is awake, Itachi," said the man with orange hair. I gazed at him, resisting a flinch when I met Rinnegan eyes. I had only read about it in books as being a Kekkei Genkai that had created all known jutsus, and thought no one had possessed it for centuries. It was shocking and unsettling.

Taking a deep breath, I gave a calm, chaste bow. "It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Uchiha Emiko."

"I am Pain, the leader of the Akatsuki. You are to address me as Pain sama or Leader sama. Understood?"

"I understand, Leader sama," I answered.

"We were told that your name is Fukushima Emiko," this time it was a beautiful woman who spoke. She had short lavender hair and warm golden eyes and a beautiful white origami rose on the side of her head. 

"Oh, it was before I married Itachi," I said.

Nodding in acceptance of my answer, she introduced herself, "I am Konan, second in command."