Chapter 15 - Love

Emiko pov:

The million butterflies that fluttered in my stomach as I ran towards the Akatsuki hideout reminded me of the first time I had truly felt romantic feelings for Itachi. It was nostalgic and reminded me of the many embraces and kisses we had shared that had only brought us closer. My body quivered at the thought of falling into his arms and being embraced by him again again.

It took me about half a day to reach the hideout, and I had taken no breaks in between. I was thankful to Mother for giving me food to eat before I left for it had given me enough energy to not stall during my journey. Upon reaching the sealed entrance of the hideout, I did hand signs that allowed me to enter through the barrier.

Despite not wanting to take any detours, I first headed to Leader sama's office to let him know that I had returned. He had questioned me about where I had gone and what I had done while I was gone, and I had smoothly lied about wanting to retrieve a personal belonging from Fukushima. He didn't seem entirely convinced but let it go since I did not show any signs of betrayal. He did, however, warn me to never go off on my own again with informing him first.

Thanking him for his generosity, I left his office only to sprint through the corridors to go to my room so I could see Itachi. Guilt pricked at me harshly for all the suffering and loneliness I had left him in for the past two days.

I happened to run into Deidara just before I could reach my room though and he appeared quite surprised and relieved to see me. He was quick to come to me and grab my shoulders as he spoke, "I'm so glad you're alright, hmm! I heard that that b****** did something to make you run away! Don't worry, I wont let him hurt you again, yeah!"

"Thank you for worrying about me, Deidara, but it's nothing like what you said," I answered with a smile, making him let go of me. "There was something I needed to retrieve from my hometown, that's all. My absence here has nothing to do with Itachi. Now, if you'll excuse me, I wish to go to him now."

Excusing myself quickly, I stepped into my room. Kisame kun was nowhere to be seen and Itachi was lying on the bed with one arm over his eyes. He looked paler than I remembered him to be and it only increased my feeling of guilt. A small smile came to my lips though, just seeing him made me feel warmed.

With a soft sigh, I closed the door and stepped to him. I took a seat on the bed without taking my eyes off him. I reached out to caress his cheeks with the back of my fingers, my smile widening as he leaned into my touch with a soft hum. Then cupping his cheek, I leaned down to place my lips on his gently. I did not get the chance to pull away for Itachi shifted and his hand moved to the back of my head, bringing me closer against his lips. I smiled into the kiss with a light blush rising on my cheeks but tilted my head while parting my lips to respond to his caresses.

He seemed hesitant though, for obvious reasons, but did not stop his sweet show of affection. He elicited a shiver from me when his free hand found its way under my shirt onto my bare waist. It made me grasp his shirt in my fist and hum into the kiss, feeling goose bumps rise on my arms. My heart was beating loud and fast in my ears and I didn't want this moment to end.

We parted after a few moments, a soft smack echoing in my ears. I remained bent over him, our noses barely touching while I gazed deeply into his dull ebony orbs. There was nervousness in his eyes. It hurt me to see him nervous when with me when I had promised to be nothing but supportive of him.

With a small smile, I leaned up to kiss his forehead, his closed eyes, his nose, his cheeks and finally placed a chaste kiss on his lips. I then laid down next to him, wrapping my arm around his torso and resting my cheek above his heart to listen to his gentle, rhythmic heartbeat. It was blissful, even more when he wrapped his arms around me to hold me close to himself.