Chapter 21 - Happenings

Itachi pov:

Emiko and I stood on the edge of a cliff overlooking the forest below though our gazes were on the dark clouds that filled the sky. Despite the grim weather, the silence was pleasant, and allowed me to dwell in my thoughts of Sasuke. I wondered how strong he had become and when the time would come for us to face each other in battle. It would happen soon, surely, but I didn't know exactly when.

Kisame had gone off on his own to capture the Yonbi Jinchuriki (four-tails), saying he wanted the exercise. He knew of my illness and my deteriorating sight - perhaps this was a favor he was doing to me, giving me a break, but I couldn't be sure. Whatever the case, I was glad to be spared from dealing with any fighting for now and just basking in the sense of belonging with Emiko.

Emiko's small hand grasped mine tenderly, entwining our fingers. I glanced down at her at that and found her watching me with an adoring smile.

"What's on your mind?" she asked softly.

Gazing back at the storm clouds, I contemplated on what to say in response. I did not know what to say, for besides the thoughts of Sasuke's progress, I could only think of how afraid I was that I would be leaving her alone soon, how immensely guilty I felt, how I hated myself so much for making her suffer. I couldn't tell her this though, since she would only scold me for it. She didn't want me to feel guilty but I'm sure she knew that I couldn't push away the feeling.

"Nothing specific," I answered.

More worrying thoughts filled my mind. I had become a rogue because I desired peace, a monster, a bloodthirsty killer in the eyes of the world. I was worried that Sasuke too would become a monster like me, though not because he desired peace but because I had pushed him so far in the name of avenging the Uchiha Clan. I was afraid that Emiko too would have to suffer the same fate as me even though she had no role to play in any of my life decisions.

"Itachi," Emiko whispered, well aware that I was lying.

I felt suddenly overwhelmed. I couldn't stop the tears that fell from my eyes as Emiko gazed at me. She sighed softly and let go of my hand only to shift so she was standing in front of me. Cupping my cheeks, she made me look into her eyes while she wiped off the tears with his thumbs. I closed my eyes under her gesture and pulled her to me in an embrace, wrapping my arms around her waist and back. She held me in return and patted my back to soothe me.

Her heartbeat was profound against my chest, her breathing soft and deep, and a deep inhale of her scent as I buried my face in her hair comforted me much more than what I could describe with words. I felt content and safe in her arms, as if all the worries I had had moments ago had trickled away like running water.

We remained in each other's arms until we sensed Kisame approaching. We parted from the embrace and it left me feeling cold and empty, but I was quick to show no expression of it. Moments later, Kisame stepped out from behind the trees with the Yonbi Jinchuriki on his shoulder, only to curtly drop him onto the ground. He was unconscious and quite roughed up.

"You're back," I said simply, looking to him.

"Yes, but taking him alive was quite a hassle," he answered, eyeing the forty year old who seemed to be in pain.

I looked up at the sky at the roar of thunder that echoed around us followed by a few drops of rain. My mind was blank, oddly enough, and I said, "It seems a storm is coming."

"Let's take shelter by the trees so we don't freeze," said Kisame, poking at the Jinchuriki with Samehada.

"Leader sama will be waiting for us to contact him. We were to seal the Sanbi and Yonbi together." I wasn't quite lookign forward to the sealing since I was tired and wished to rest a while longer. However, there was a possibility that Leader sama would think that we were slacking off if we didn't contact him soon.