Chapter 19 - Dysfunctional Family

Emiko pov:

As soon as I returned to the hideout, I headed straight to Leader sama's office. Having sensed my presence, Madara sama was quick to join us, having followed me in his 'Tobi-mode'. The atmosphere got tense the moment the three of us were alone in the office and Madara sama looked to me expectantly.

"You took your time," he spoke, indirectly demanding an explanation for the extra day I had taken.

"I ran into some ANBU on the way and stopped by the village to eat and buy something," I answered calmly. "Here's the katana."

"Hmm, it's still in good condition. Good job," he said after releasing it from the scroll. 

He was pleased to have it in his possession again and he looked over the blade several times before he sheathed it and tied it to his waist. I doubted that he would actually use it anytime soon though.

"You can leave," he dismissed with a wave of his hand.

Before I left though, I reached for another scroll and revealed the gift I had got for Leader sama. I held out a box to him while saying, "I got this for you, Leader sama. It contains different kinds of sealing scrolls that I thought you might find useful."

He narrowed his eyes slightly but took the box from me. Having looked through its contents once, he asked, "Why did you buy this for me?"

Shrugging, I answered, "No specific reason. I bought gifts for all the members, actually. I shopped for them in the village after I had retrieved the katana."

"Where did you have the money for it?" questioned Madara sama. It was odd but he just seemed simply curious.

"I haven't used any of the money I have got from all the missions I have gone on so I figured I could use it for something at least."

"But gifts for the members?" he pressed, now slightly suspicious.

"It's nothing to be suspicious about, Madara sama," I said, giving him a small smile. "I was just feeling generous, I suppose."

With a hum, he nodded. "Very well, you can leave now."

"Your gift is appreciated," Leader sama said. My smile widened slightly and I gave the two of them a bow before I left.

I ran into Konan san in the corridor on the way to the common room where I wished to hand out the other gifts. I stalled her for a moment and held out a delicate chain and pendant for her to take - it was a star-shaped blue precious stone pendant.

"I'm not sure of your taste but I hope you like this," I said as she took it and gazed over it.

She smiled, and it made her look even more beautiful than usual. Meeting my eyes, she said, "It's beautiful, thank you."

Glad that she liked it, I gave her a chaste bow and headed over to the common room so I could give the other members their gifts. Upon entering the common room, I noticed that all of the members were there, though it seemed that Kakuzu san and Hidan had just returned from a mission. It was oddly welcoming, even though we didn't get along sometimes. But we were, in a way, a weird family, living together and functioning as s team under Leader sama.

The first to notice me, as expected, was Itachi. He smiled at me but turned curious when I didn't go to him immediately and instead looked over everyone in the common room. "Hey, everyone, gather around!"

"Stop your hollering, you annoying b****!" Hidan snapped in response and I sent his a sharp glare.

"Don't get your hair in a twist, Hidan. I got everyone some gifts after my mission so gather around so I can give them to you." I ended my sentence with a smile that widened at the curious and hopeful expressions it brought onto everyone's faces, even Hidan's.