Chapter 13 - Heartache

Emiko pov:

"Uchiha Itachi," Sasuke spoke, venom dripping off every syllable. There was not even the slightest left of the adorable, cheerful Sasuke I had known.

This was not a part of our plan - we were not supposed to run into anyone besides Jiraiya san and the Jinchuriki and Sasuke coming here had anxiousness bubbling within me.

"Uchiha Itachi?" the Jinchuriki repeated and the fear in him doubled as he looked back at Itachi.

"Oh, the Sharingan, and he looks quite similar to you. Who is he?" Kisame kun questioned with a smirk whilst observing Sasuke.

"My little brother," answered Itachi. Though he sounded nonchalant and even appeared so, I could see the spark of anguish in his eyes. There was nothing of his emotions that I couldn't see.

I remained stoic as Sasuke looked to me and his eyes widened. They reflected sadness and betrayal, and my eyes stung in response. However, I did well to hold in any hint of tears that could give away the truth that we regretted everything that had happened.

"I heard the entire Uchiha clan was killed by you," Kisame kun spoke, amuse in his tone. I glanced at him, mentally cursing at him for mentioning that and adding oil to the burning fire. But he knew nothing of the massacre, just as nearly every other person in the world, so there was no surprise in his mockery.

Sasuke's expression had changed to one of pure hatred when I met his gaze again. I had expected him to hate me just as he hated Itachi but I hadn't thought it would be this torturing to endure.

"Sasuke, what are you doing here?" I asked, my voice coming out softer than I wanted it to.

"I heard you were here...and I've come to kill you, Uchiha Itachi!" he raged. It made me shut my eyes in a moment of sadness at how much more Itachi was suffering in comparison to me but I looked at him again when he continued, "Like you said, I hated you, detested you and, just to kill you, I have survived! I will kill you now!"

Blue sparks of lightning chakra enveloped his fist - it was the Chidori, and I guessed that Kakashi had been the one to reach it to him. Itachi too seemed surprised to see him using the Chidori.

Sasuke lunged at Itachi with his Chidori, leaving a trail of destruction on the wall his hand was in contact with. Despite the power in the Chidori, I knew it was not enough to overpower Itachi. I shut my eyes when they clashed though, as it caused an explosion and debris to rise around us. When it settled slightly, I saw the huge hole in the wall that had been left behind from Sasuke's attack while Itachi held his wrist tightly in his hand, having been the one to deflect the assault.

The Jinchuriki reacted and chakra began to envelope him - it was a menacing orange-red instead of the usual blue.

"His chakra is filling the space. I see - this is the kyuubi's chakra," said Kisame kun. Sasuke attempted to break free of Itachi but it was in vain. Itachi though, for one, reacted in a way I hadn't expected.

"You're a bother," he said and applied pressure on Sasuke's wrist to break it. The sound of his bone breaking was sickening, as was Sasuke's scream in agony, and had me grasping Itachi's arm tightly.

He met my wide eyed gaze but showed no emotion even as I said in a scolding tone, "What are you doing, Itachi? We're here for the Jinchuriki. Leave Sasuke alone."

There was apparent pain and pleading in my voice. I was shocked that Itachi had hurt Sasuke, even if he did want to keep him from hindering our attempt to take the Jinchuriki. I was putting in every bit of effort I could to not apologize profusely to Sasuke and fuss over him, hoping to heal him and ease his pain, and Itachi knew that too.