Chapter 12 - Heartbreaking Reunion

Doesn't Itachi look adorable in the pic?! Ahhhh, I want to touch his hair TwT

~~~~~~~~~~

Emiko pov:

Months rolled by quickly, all the members including me busy with missions, though the missions I was sent on were mostly A or B rank and included gathering intel, stealing scrolls, and hindering possible interruptions to the Akatsuki's functioning.

Just as Itachi always did on his missions, if there came a circumstance where I had to fight against someone, my first choice was to knock them out and escape. It was not in my interest to unnecessarily hurt innocent people but there had been a few instances where I had to kill shinobi who were persistent in trying to stop me from doing what I had to do. Surely it wasn't the same as the number of people Itachi had had to kill since we joined the Akatsuki. Seeing him suffering because of that hurt me but all we could do was console each other that whatever happened couldn't be changed.

While most of my missions were solo missions, there were times that I accompanied two man teams as a medic. One instance when I had gone with Itachi and Kisame kun had enlightened me on just how powerful and skilled Itachi really was. Though their face off against powerful shinobi was a fight I was sure to have found quite difficult, Itachi was unscratched while Kisame kun had just a few scrapes here and there.

Although, there was one incident during our mission that had made me feel like the world had stopped, and I still shudder remembering it

>>Flashback

"Jeez, Kisame kun, you should have been more careful! You didn't have to get so rash," I scolded as I healed one of the few cuts he had got on his arm. It wasn't serious but it was a wound nonetheless and he could have avoided it if he hadn't been reckless in attacking his opponents.

With a chuckle, he ruffled my hair, and said, "It's all a part of the job, Emi. Besides, you know that I'm really strong so something as silly as this is nothing, all the more since you're here to heal me."

With a click of my tongue, I slapped his arm playfully. We shared a laugh at that but I looked to Itachi when he went into another coughing fit - something that I had noticed he had been having rather often off late. I had guessed that he had fallen sick from standing in the rain because he liked it and I had suggested to heal him. However, he had pushed me away, saying that it was nothing to worry about and that his throat was just a little dry every now and then.

I stepped to him and rubbed his back in an attempt to soothe his coughing. My eyes went wide though and I was certain that my heart would burst out if my chest in fright when I noticed that he was sweating profusely and blood was seeping through the fingers of his hand that covered his mouth.

"Itachi!" I screamed, reaching up to hold the side of his head. "What's wrong? What's happening?!"

It was a few moments before his coughing quelled and he collapsed to his knees. I kneeled in front of him and held him as he leaned against my shoulder. He was breathing heavily and still sweating quite a bit. He let his left hand fall limply to his lap, and the sight of blood on it made me queasy, while he clutched the fabric above his chest with his other hand.

"Itachi, please get up! Let's go to a doctor!" I begged, my eyes prickling as he continued to heave.

"Emiko, we don't need-"

"Yes, we do!" I cut him off. "You just coughed up blood! We have to see a doctor!"

"Oi, what's going on?" Kisame kun asked, approaching upon hearing the commotion. His eyes went a little wide too and he added "You should see a doctor, Itachi san."