Merlin's Tavern

"What lake?"

"Lake Avalon, Sire. Merlin's Tavern."

"What do you mean, Merlin's Tavern?"

"Where he drowns his sorrows."

All the knights look and seem stunned. The only thought running through their head was the questioning that Merlin was, sad. And that hurt them. Leon was the first to speak up

"Why didn't he talk to us?"

"In his head, I think, Merlin doesn't want to bother you with things he thinks he can deal with. That's why he doesn't tell you when he's hurt or scared or sad or in trouble. Especially when he's in trouble." Gaius takes a sombre expression and stares down at his food.

"I think we should go and see him now. Goodbye Gaius." He doesn't answer Elyan and the knights leave without another word. Carefully closing the door behind them. Once they are a good 100 yards away Arthur seems to regain his senses.

"Right, so, does anyone know where this 'Lake Avalon' is?"

"I think I do." Gwaine says unexpectedly. "I think Merlin mentioned it in passing once or twice. It's an hours walk, heading east out of the main gate."

"Actually, I think Merlin told me about this place as well. If I'm remembering correctly it's surrounded by mountains. The way he described it was as if it was the most beautiful place in the five kingdoms." Percival's face broke into a smile at the memory of Merlin's face.

"Then let's get going. I expect we'll find his trail straight away anyway."

Unlike what they expected, they could find no trace of Merlin's clumsy footprints, no snapped branches, no evidence what so ever that someone had passed through. Much to Arthurs annoyance.

"He's always soooo clumsy when we're hunting. I'm going to kill him when we find him." Arthur's voice wasn't loud, but it was filled with annoyance.

When the had been walking for about 50 minutes when Arthur raised his hand to stop.

"Can you hear that?"

"It sound like crying, Sire."

And true to Leon's word if you listened carefully you could hear muffled sobbing coming from ahead of them.

"Quietly forward."

They reached the edge of the trees and were greeted by a beautiful sight. Just like Merlin had described there were mountains surrounding the back, but the lake seemed to glimmer in the early morning sunlight. Entranced, they only noticed that someone else was there when the sobs continued, broken words in between.

"A..aa...and Gaius is...is we..well. Buuuttt... But I...I miss youuu." The knights hearts were torn into two when they heard the voice. They didn't know what was hurting their friend so much, but they knew that they wanted to help "I brought yyy...you straw...berries. You know to..day's the day you...the day, the day you. The day you died. You were so sweet. So... So kind. I couldn't look at them today. Especially.. Especially him. I don't hate him for it. But I can't help but imagine, what life would have been like if you didn't die. I know I won't see you again. Not for many, many years. Thousands. But you should always know that... I would have left Camelot with you. A thousand times over. I loved you that much. I've got to get back now. Enjoy the strawberries. I'm sorry they're late." And with that he stood up, wiped his eyes and walked into the trees. Leaving the knights confused.

They all kept staring at the place Merlin had left when they heard a ripple coming from the lake and a soft sigh.