Merlin Has Magic?!

Looking around at their new surroundings, the knights saw that they were in a forest clearing, surrounded by lush green leaved trees and budding daffodils. The air was crisp and had a chill to it but the knight's and spirits could all feel the heat blazing through the canopy.

It was several minutes before someone broke the silence. That someone being Arthur.

"He lied to us."

It was a short and simple statement but Balinor saw red.

"He lied because if he hadn't your father would have taken off his head. And he didn't tell you because he didn't want you to make the choice between him and your father. He was trying to be a good friend. And before you even ask why he didn't tell you after you became King, it was for the only reason that he had lied for so long that he was scared you'd hate him and have him burnt at the pyre. Which, for your information, he would have done quite happily if it was what you wished and would do so now, without a complaint." By the end Balinor's breathing was raged and the rest of the spirits had scowls on their faces. Arthur's mouth was open in awe at how passionate Balinor spoke about Merlin's troubles. Like a sulky child he responded with:

"He still lied, he's still a traitor."

Gwaine looked the spirit with more respect. He had know that Merlin was different to him in more respects than just nobility. And had always respected how he had delt with Arthur being 'a humongous clotpole' And the way that Balinor spoke about Merlin's loyalty made the drunken knight respect the man even more. Gwaine had, however, lost most respect for his king. The entire group had been given an explanation as to why, and the Princess still wouldn't let it go.

With an uncomfortable silence spreading though the group as Arthur stared at Balinor and Gwaine stared at Arthur accompanied by Balinor, Freya gave a slight cough and spoke.

"We're hear for a reason, there's an important memory we have to watch." And with that, once again, Freya strode away from the rest of the group, heading off into the undergrowth.

The spirits and Gwaine quickly began to follow her, leaving behind a confused and frustrated Arthur and 3 unsure knights.

After standing in the same spot for around 5 minutes Arthur, Leon, Elyan and Percival began to trudge in the direction the rest of their companions had headed in. After 10 minutes of getting lost they finally caught up with the spirits and Gwaine, finding them in a small field on the outskirts of Ealdor, with their gazes on something in the upper branches of a oak tree. Small, gut wrenching sobs travelled down to the party and, as the cries became louder, rain began to pour from the heavens in sheets, turning the sky grey with rolling thunder clouds.

Suddenly the cries stopped and the clouds parted revealing a bright sun. The gentle mutter of words drifted to the knights. Mubblings, coming from an almost familiar voice.

"No... No no no no no. Keep it together. Don't. Just stop. It hurts people." The words were barley breathed, but everyone heard the desperation in the voice. "Don't do it. Stop. I'm a monster." Cries of disbelief grew through put the group, but before they could regain any thoughts a new voice spoke from the field.

"Hello!" Taken by surprise the knights all turned and jumped into fighting stances, making the spirits chuckle despite the severity of the situation. "My name's Will. I just moved here. Your mother mentioned you and I thought I'd come and meet you. The other kids told me not to bother, they said you were a freak, that you were dangerous, but I like making my own decisions. What 'bout you?" A young lad, with blonde hair and a timid (yet cocky) smile stood before them, seeming unafraid of any outcome that may befall him after the meeting.

A small russel came from above them and then a thud as 10 year old Merlin hopped out of the tree.

"Aren't you scared of doing that?" Will asked, nodding up to how high Merlin had been just moments before.

"Not really. Death doesn't scare me. I'd welcome it with open arms if that's what fate has planned. It wouldn't matter if I died anyway. Everyone's better off without me." All this was said with a shrug of skinny shoulders and a half smile at Will.

The knights just stood aghast, the Merlin that they knew was so full of life, so full of love and compassion and hope, that you would never have even suggested that at some point in his life he had felt he might as well die. The world around the group began to swirl and the memory of young Merlin and Will was left behind to fade into nothing.

_______________________________________________________________________

Hey Narwhals.
Hope you're all okay.
I'm soooo sorry this took so long.
I don't really have an excuse, I just wasn't motived. I'd write I few paragraphs and stop to go do somthing, and when I got back I wouldn't be able to get back into the flow. But you guys have been amazing, thank you for being so patient.
I have the next couple of chapters drafted out properly so they should be here much sooner (*fingers crossed*).
I hope it's okay, I'm slightly worried about this chapter But hey ho.
See y'all later.

Word count: 927