Chapter 9

I closed my eyes and breathed out.

Silence.

"When I was eight" I began "I was out playing with my friend Loosie. My mum called me to come do my homework. I was sad cause I loved playing with her. I said bye to her anyway and ran towards the house. I was about entering the house when the pain hit me from nowhere" I said remembering how it felt "It was to much for me to bear so much so that I went out. The next thing I remember was being wheeled into the ER and my parents telling me that I was gonna be alright. Everything was blurry but I could make out some of the things that was going on. The nurses fixed a drip and I began feeling dizzy and sleepy. I was out the next second. Next thing I knew, I woke up screaming. I'd just had a horrible nightmare. A nightmare I had when I was five" I looked at them with tears in my eyes. The reality of it was more painful than the story.

Patricia and Mara were now beside me. "The next morning I was much better, they let me go. The doctors said it was just a panic attack. Then I remembered what I was thinking of before the pain hit me" I sighed "The nightmare. When I was five, when I had the nightmare, I was so scared that night I slept with my parents for a month before they coerced me to sleep in Nick's room" I snorted with a smile remembering how long my parents would wait up till I fell asleep "I was thinking about that nightmare after I said goodbye to Loosie. That was what made me panic" I exhaled "I didn't tell my parents about having the nightmare again cause I knew it was just a nightmare" I paused "That night after we left the hospital, my parents put me in bed and went to their room. I slept off and I woke up screaming...again. I'd just had the same nightmare I had the night before and the same one I had when I was five. My parents came into my room and calmed me down and put me back to sleep. It was 3:30 in the morning and I prayed I wouldn't have it again"

"What was the nightmare Nina?" Patricia asked.

I looked at her and began hyperventilating just thinking about it.

"Calm down" she said

I sniffed.

"It was so real it felt nothing like a dream" I swallowed "I woke up, a-and found myself in the middle of nowhere. It was so dark, t-the moon was out bu-but it wasn't bright. The star's weren't there" I was on the verge of crying "It was freezing, the wind was howling. I tried to take a step forward, but my leg wouldn't move. It was stuck. Then I looked back to see if there was someone there, cause I could sense someone watching me. I looked back and, and it was standing right there. Looking right at me. Like it could see my soul" I calmed down before I continued "I couldn't see any part of it except its eyes standing out in the dark, like a cat's, but it was taller than me. I tried moving my feet and they moved, then I began to run as fast as I could. I t-turned round but it was still standing there. I could feel it smiling and, and it began chasing after me. It's like it-it gave me a head start, because it knew it was gonna catch me no matter how fast I ran" I looked at Fabian and he clenched his jaw when he looked into my eyes, he could see the fear in them. I looked away "I'd wake up screaming to get the pain, the image and the fear out of me. But all I could get out were my tears. I woke up fully the next morning hoping it wouldn't happen again, but who was I kidding. Nick and I still shared a room since the nightmare happened when I was five. We were scared of the dark but he never wanted to admit that he was" I smiled remembering how Nick would get scared in the dark cause of a tiny sound "After we were tucked in. I slept and woke in the middle of nowhere again. I turned round and it was standing there. Only this time, it wasn't the only one. There were two of them" I let my tears fall "Right now they're more than a thousand. And every single night they catch up with me"

"Shit" I heard Fabian growl

I wiped my tears and sniffed "My therapist thinks its because of the fear I had of it, when I was five, is the reason it's back. She says its a way of my life telling me to get past my fears" I looked at them "I've never dreamt of any other thing except The Unknown Eternity"