Chapter 18

Phoebe Tonkin as Lottie Oliver

•Emmiey•

One week after Jack's birthday, the two of us were due at Horizon View Academy for a parent/teacher conference with Tommy's teacher, Miss Valentine.

When we had gotten there, the preppy brunette introduced herself to us before we went into her classroom.

"Tommy is an exceptionally bright student," She told us when we had sat down, causing me to smile at her. "In the class we have six different groups -blue being the more advanced students, the group Tommy's in."

"Has he been okay with making friends?" I asked her. "He's a little awkward in that department."

"Oh, he's definitely made friends! In his group there are only five students and he's become friends with all of them, especially Kara Godfrey, the girl who was assigned to be his buddy on the first day," She told us, causing my eyebrow to raise.

He's good friends with a girl?

Jack, noticing how tense I had gotten, started rubbing small circles on the back of my hand with his thumb, making me feel slightly at ease but also a little nervous. But he didn't even seem to notice that he was doing it.

Miss Valentine went on to tell us that not only is Tommy excelling academically but his music teacher is also impressed with his singing and guitar skills (Jack and I decided that we wanted Tommy to start singing lessons at school as well as continue with guitar in and out of school).

After the meeting was done, we were allowed to just look around the classroom. Looking at the portraits that the students had drawn, I quickly spotted Tommy's one with his name Tommy S. Oliver at the bottom of it.

I had to blink as I looked at the picture a few times.

"Is that what I think it is?" Jack asked, his eyes wide in surprise and a little disbelief.

"It is," I said.

On Tommy's portrait, he had drawn himself standing in between two other people. Above the people were the names mommy, me, daddy.

He had drawn the three of us as a family.

"Oh my god," I mumbled.

"Is this...is this what he wants or...see's us as?" He asked.

"I guess so," I nodded. "I mean, he's never said anything about it, so I'm not really sure where this is coming from," I said.

I figured that Tommy just understood that Jack's with Madison and that isn't going to change. We still both love him unconditionally, just not as a couple.

After bidding goodbye to miss Valentine, Jack and I headed to our cars.

"Um, Emmiey. I was just wondering...and you don't have to say yes, but like, maybe you could think about it, but like..." He stopped and let out a breath and then bit his lip and ran his fingers through his hair -something he does when he's nervous. It's an old habit.

"What is it, Jack?" I asked, wanting to know what he wanted to ask.

"I was wondering if maybe we could officially...change Tommy's surname," He said. "I mean, I know it's a little far-fetched, but I'd really like him to have to Gilinsky name. We don't even have to completely erase Oliver. It could be hyphened or something -"

I thought about it. I mean...I wouldn't really have a problem with Tommy's surname being Gilinsky. After all, it is his father's surname.

"Um, well, I don't really mind, I guess. I'll talk to Tommy and see how he feels about it," I said.