Chapter 8

Justin's POV

The car ride was just like any other one in the past had went...perfectly. We listened to our favorite songs through a handy aux cord and held hands as I tried my best to focus on the road. My friends would always describe me as a reckless driver, but never I lost that title whenever I was with Lauren. I could never live if anything happened to her and it was job, as her boyfriend, to make sure that she was safe.

"Can we play our song now?" She asked just above a whisper as I rubbed my thumb gently across her hand.

"Sure babe," I smiled. "We'll be there in a few minutes by the way."

She searched it up and within a few seconds "Mirrors" by Justin Timberlake was blasting through my speakers. We weren't your average couple that had a romantic song that we called ours after we slow danced to it. This was a song that we could never stop listening to whenever we spent time together and nothing could get it out of our heads either.

"Aren't you something?"

"To admire!" I answered back playfully while arriving at the parking lot of "La Cucina".

We walked together cautiously at first, but then I began to stop looking around like a deer in the headlights. This is what we came here to talk about, right? This was not how I wanted our relationship to be anymore. Just a secret.

"Reservation under Nathan Dorfman," I smirked at the host, trying not to laugh. For some reason, we found it absolutely hilarious to make dinner reservations under randomly weird names.

"Right this way," She furrowed her eyebrows, most likely puzzled about our odd behavior.

Lauren followed behind her and it was safe to say we were the youngest ones there. This was definitely not the place that high school kids or teenagers in general went for practice. Let's be real: most boyfriends had a fit about taking girls out if it was something more expensive then Wendy's. I told myself I would not be one of those boyfriends, so I got a job two years ago and saved up for my future girlfriend. Now that I could spoil her, I won't stop.

"I'll have the skirt steak with a side of mashed potatoes, if that's ok Jus?" She looked over at me timidly.

"Anything you want babe," I agreed with no hesitation. "I'll have the lobster."

We talked for a bit about our days and how school went before I decided it was about time I brought up the elephant in the room. I sat back in my chair and brushed my hair nervously with my hand prior to clearing my throat.

"Laur..." I started, reaching for her hand. "I need to talk to you about something."

She looked down and bit her lip in anticipation before shaking her head.

"Are you honestly breaking up with me?" She stuttered a bit. "I really thought-"

"Babe!" I cut her off immediately. "Are you serious? I would never do that. Here me out, ok?"

"Phew," She blushed. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing. I just want to be honest and tell you exactly what I need to explain right now. I really can't hide this anymore," I motioned between us. "I really like you a lot and it's killing me that we can't do simple couple things like hold hands in the hallway or walk to our cars together. I want to show you off and I honestly don't care what they say or think anymore. I want to make this public and make sure the whole school knows that Lauren Michelle Jauregui is mine."

She took in every word and smiled at the last thought of what I said. I couldn't read her expression as well as I thought I would have been able to. I let her relax for a second as she took a deep breath and sighed after pushing her food around her plate.

"I want that more than anything too," She admitted. "But I don't know if I'll ever be ready for the response we're going to get by doing it."

"I don't think we'll ever be ready," I added. "It's a risk that I'm willing to take...for you."

"Awe. I guess it's just something we'll both have to deal with then," She shrugged with a grin. "Can I just have a few days to tell my friends.. so that they don't completely kill me?"

"Of course. You can have as much time as you need."