Chapter 5 - 962

I tried not to look at Robin in chemistry, just like Joanna instructed. But it was hard. I could feel her eyes on me. In fact, I could feel a lot of eyes on me. Did my new clothes and haircut actually make that much of a difference? It was flattering for sure.

Don't say anything to her. Just remind her about study group, Joanna had said. I was going to trust my fairy godmother when it came to love advice.

As I finished my assignment, I pulled out a bright red sheet of paper and folded it into a crane, sealing within it another handwritten note: Take Robin stargazing.

It was my fifth crane of the day, a productive morning. I was walking on Cloud Nine. A girl liked me. A girl liked me. A girl liked me. And not just any girl. A pretty girl.

Soon enough, the bell rang and I was making my way to calculus.

"Jordan!" I heard Robin call from behind me.

Keep cool, I told myself. This is all part of the plan.

"Oh, hey Robin," I smiled. Did that sound cool enough? Did I look casual enough?

"You look different." She said, bluntly. "I almost thought we had a new student."

She smiled a playful smile. Was it a flirtatious smile?

"Yeah, new clothes," I shrugged. Now what? Right. Stick to the plan.

"I'm not going to be in English, today; I've got an orthodontist appointment. But, I'll see you at study group tonight, right? Joanna said she can pick you up. My house is kind of hard to find."

She nodded quietly. I knew she was trying to figure out how to tell me that she didn't need tutoring.

"Would you mind bringing the notes from English to study group?" I added, off the cuff.

"Y-yeah. I can do that." She hesitated.

"Great. I'll see you tonight!" I smiled, nearly comfortably. Turning, I made my way to calculus where Joanna and Jonathan awaited.

"How'd it go?" Joanna was already in her usual seat beside Jonathan's. She looked at me with sparkling, intent eyes. She was obviously enjoying living vicariously through me.

"Hey! Who's the new kid?" Jonathan asked from behind me. He came around with his hand extended, ready to shake hands with me.

"Holy heck, man. I didn't even recognize you. What happened? You look... different!" He shot a confused look to Joanna. She opened her mouth to explain, but we were interrupted by Dr. Wilkes, our calculus teacher.

"Misters Johnson, would you both take a seat?" He stifled a laugh as he asked.

Teachers always found our friendship humorous. The Three Johnsons. The Johnson Triplets. Our ninth grade English teacher had even called us Team JoJo. We were just endless founts of entertainment.

If I'm being honest, it was our names that drew us together, in the first place. In every class beginning in the sixth grade, we had been put in alphabetical order until the teachers learned our names. Which meant that Joanna, Jonathan and I had been forced to sit together. We were either destined to be best friends or mortal enemies.

"How'd it go?" Joanna asked again as I took my seat in front of her.

"It went well. I was cool as a cucumber." I whispered over my shoulder as Dr. Wilkes began his lesson.

"Dude, why the new look?" Jon asked quietly, impatience getting the best of him.

"He's going to ask a girl out," Joanna smirked, ducking her head to avoid my death glare.

Jon raised his eyebrows then gave me a sly, congratulatory grin. He knew that Joanna would catch him up at lunch while I was gone to get my braces tightened.