Chapter 20 - 642

Days turned into weeks and autumn slipped into winter. I found myself laughing more and worrying less. I found myself talking more and spouting fewer facts, apparently I didn't need to hide behind facts once I became comfortable with who I was.

And I found high school was becoming easier for me. People started to be nicer to me and I was beginning to enjoy lunches in the cafeteria. I felt invincible with Robin, Jon and Joanna on my side.

Marc Foster still worked to make me miserable, but I couldn't have cared less. And my indifference began to drive him crazy. I felt like I was winning. The more I ignored him, the more vehemently he teased me. And the more unsuccessful he was, the redder his face would get.

Unfortunately, his mercilessness was not lost on Joanna. He had far more leverage on her and threatened to ruin her social life.

No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't comfort Joanna. Nobody could. She wouldn't be consoled. It's hard to let people help you when you can't forgive yourself.

Since that night at my house, Joanna had missed a lot of school. From depression or embarrassment, I couldn't tell. But my taste for vengeance grew stronger every time Jo missed school. The week before we got out for Christmas holidays, I decided it was time.

Jonathan, Robin and I met in the library. Pages sprawled around us as we spoke quietly. I revealed to them the entirety of my plan. It was risky, and we'd probably be expelled if we got caught. But sometimes the benefits outweigh the risks, and this was one of those times.

It would take all of us to work. Robin had to access the student records during her office aide period. Jon was going to have to do some serious work with his computer skills. And I even had my own tasks during my counselor's aide period.

That evening, we gathered at Jon's house, ready to bring down Marc Foster. Robin laid copies of Marc's student records in front of Jon. We opened the folder and began rifling through the pages that held Marc's past. Jon began writing down information that he found important. Jon was able to find Marc's locker number, his computer login information, his birthdate and a load of other gems we were glad to have in our Marcus Foster arsenal.

Our timing could not have been better Robin had told us. Marc was having a huge party for his eighteenth birthday the Friday we got out of school. He had invited most of our classmates. It was no wonder that Joanna had not made the guest list. Apparently, there would be no better time to take this jerk down than his birthday.

Jon led us to his computer, a secret sanctum few had seen. Until I met JonJohn, I'd had no idea that a single computer could use more than one monitor. I didn't even know anybody would have a need for more than one monitor. Jon used his screens to open our student email exchange. He started typing furiously, fingers working like magic as he attempted to log into Marc's email. His keystrokes slowed, his face screwing up in concentration.

"Try 1B1220," Robin suggested after a moment. A chime announced Jon's success.

"How did you come up with that?" Jon looked both perplexed and impressed.

"He's the first baseman and his birthday is December 20th." Robin said matter-of-factly, as if any idiot could have figured that out. "Now, what are you going to do?"

"I'm going to alter his settings so that his emails will have a default BCC of the student body. That way, whenever he responds to emails, they'll get sent to the entire school."

Jon nodded toward the other screen, on which he had loaded the faculty email login screen.

"I'm going to schedule Nurse Bell's email to send that unfortunate email during third period tomorrow. That will give Jordan time to reset the campus announcements."