Chapter 7 - 965

We hit every room in the house. Well, every important room. The living room, kitchen, dining room. My dad's study, which she loved with its leather furniture and myriad books. The upstairs lounge which was my favorite place in the house. It was a big landing filled with mismatched furniture my mom had fallen in love with. They were all arranged around a big bay window that overlooked the back yard. On clear evenings, I could watch the stars twinkle for hours. On summer days, I'd read there all day.

Of course, I told Robin none of this. Instead, I said, "This is my mom's weird furniture." She giggled, then turned her head to the big bay window.

"The stars are beautiful tonight," she commented. Her eyes sparkled in a way I'd never seen. She was beautiful. I was totally improvising, now. Joanna had told me not to go off script, but this felt natural.

"Would you like to watch them from outside? I know it's kind of little kid-ish, but my tree house is perfect for stargazing."

And so we went. Out to the backyard and up into my tree house. Once I had gotten too old for my tree house, my dad and I had taken the roof and walls off so I had an outdoor deck for stargazing.

I followed her up the ladder and smiled as we laid on our backs to stare at the stars. The warm October air was cut by a breeze, the promise of winter in its chill. We sat in silence for a long minute. I enjoyed silence. I was comfortable in silence.

Robin giggled again, an infectious giggle. This giggle was more comfortable and beautiful. Not at all awkward, not forced like before.

"I know this is your territory; I hope I'm not stepping on your toes. But do you see that grouping of stars, there?" She pointed. "That's Grus, the crane."

I followed her finger to see the stars, but with no idea what I was looking for, I was lost. Suddenly she grabbed my hand and used it to point at the sky.

"Look, it's this grouping. It's a weird t-shape." She used my finger to trace the shape. "Right there, underneath Pegasus."

Suddenly, I could see exactly what she was talking about. Grus, the crane.

"Why didn't I know about that one before?" I asked, a broad smile on my face.

"It's only in our skies for part of the year?" Robin shrugged.

We laid there for a moment longer, her hand still around mine while the world stood still.

The sounds of the night were a symphony, a beautiful soundtrack for a perfect night. The breeze carried the scent of Robin's shampoo past my nostrils and my heart skipped a beat.

I wanted to memorize everything about this night. I was entranced by this feeling. I suddenly began to welcome the butterflies. It was no wonder people liked them.

I laced my fingers with Robin's, a little nervously at first. But it felt comfortable as she squeezed her fingers around mine. It was as if our hands were meant to fit together.

"Hey, Robin?" I asked, staring at the sky, tracing the shape of Grus with my eyes. "Would you like to go out with me? Like, on a date? Sometime soon, I mean. Maybe Saturday night, if you're free. If not, maybe another day? I mean, if you don't want to—"

Robin laughed. Why the laugher? I was baring my heart to her.

"I'd love to. Saturday is perfect." I could hear the smile in her voice. "Did you know you ramble when you're nervous? Either that or you share random facts. It's cute."

Cute? She thought my awkwardness was cute? Was I supposed to say thanks?

"Jordan?" She asked, just a whisper above the night time symphony around us. "Is my face symmetrical?" She giggled again.

I felt my cheeks grow hot. I felt embarrassed as soon as she quoted my earlier fact.

Teasing. That was just harmless teasing. I had to tell myself not to feel hurt.

"Your face is perfect." I answered, also hardly a whisper.

She giggled again and squeezed my hand tighter.

After I returned from taking her home, I stole two paper cranes from my collection.

Stepping outside, I smiled as the two cranes burned to ash. As I watched the breeze took the ashes away, taking, also, my two wishes.

Take Robin Stargazing and Ask Robin Out returned to the universe as the wind blew their remnants away. My cranes had already begun to work.