Nobody's Angel: Ch. 3 {A Vampire Romance}

"So, what are we doing tonight?" Elena asked, flopping onto my bed. Cassie and I followed her example. It was my sixteenth birthday, so we were surrounded by junk food and trying to decide what we could do to entertain ourselves.

"Are we just staying here?" Cassie added, looking sickened at the idea. She was too nice and knew me too well to suggest we do anything else, though.

Normally I would be content with the idea to sit around with my two best friends at my place, but it was my sixteenth birthday, and I was making a resolution. Starting right now, I was going to do something crazy. I was getting out of my shell, just a little bit. I had to live my life to the fullest, and I wouldn't be able to do that out of the comfort of my room, which had been my sanctuary for the past sixteen years.

"Not a chance!" I responded. The matching surprised look on their faces probably matched mine, but I was subjecting myself to this commitment, no matter what the torture I had to go through was. I had no clue the adventure that awaited me.

I looked around my room while waiting for inspiration to spark. My walls were plain white but dripping with posters that screamed my hidden personality. My carpet was blue, and my bed frame, doors, and dresser were wood. My sheets were green, blue, and purple stripes. The entire space within my four walls was meant to comfort me, to appeal to my rebellious side that I kept caged when outside of my bedroom.

I traced a finger down a green line on my blanket, contemplating my options. I had to admit, there weren't many.

"Well, what do you expect we do?" Cassie enthusiastically prompted, voicing my thoughts.

"This is Newberry," Elena reminded her. She had a point. Newberry, Michigan was the definition of rural. Sure, I loved my big house in the middle of no where, the closest neighbor a mile away, but there was rarely anything to do.

"So what?" Cassie waved her off impatiently, not wasting the opportunity to get out for a night on the town. Well, if Newberry could be considered a town. We only had the bare essentials: bank, library, school, grocery story, post office, a couple of locally owned restaurants, a small movie theatre, and a police station that sat proudly next to city hall. And, of course, a McDonalds. "Eva has a car now."

As the oldest of the three, I quickly assumed the role of the DD whenever we went somewhere following that night. (I didn't know there wouldn't be many opportunities after this one.) I wasn't complaining, though. I loved the feeling of freedom my license and car gave me. My parents had made sure I would be able to drive straight away, probably to encourage me to get out of the house more and try new activities.

"Movies?" I offered. Their eyes brightened at the idea. I smiled. We could pick something out when we got there. We all eagerly piled into the back of my car after I shouted out that we were leaving. I didn't wait for an affirmative before slamming the door behind me, afraid I would be accused of abusing my new freedom to quickly. I saw my mom open the door, the light making her appear as an intimidating shadow, her features unclear. I was grateful for that, not too eager to face her wrath.

I sped off with Elena and Cassie singing off-key to the radio, the all-seeing stars flickering down on me as I drove towards them, as if beckoning me away from my family and into the eternal night.

 * * *

I couldn't get Seth out of my head. If I had one second of spare time to think of something, I didn't think about music, dancing, or studying anymore. It was Seth. Like a song I couldn't get out of my head, the beat constantly replaying. Seth. Ba-dum. Seth. Ba-dum. Seth. Ba-dum-da-dum.

Although, I wasn't exactly sure if this was a bad thing, because I truly did want to figure this big mystery out. Seth said he and his brothers were here for a reason. Could he have just been playing with my head? Could it be something harmless, like his dad got moved to a new job? Or did it have to do with us? But what would Cassie, Elena, and I have to do with anything? We didn't even know these guys, so how could we affect their lives so much, so much that they uprooted their lives to move here?