Chapter 3

It was pitch black out on the sidewalk. The city street was eerily devoid of traffic although shadows in doorways were plentiful. She shuddered at the thought of making her way home alone. Please be home, she whispered, trying the ringer on the adjoining door once again. Once, twice, three times... nothing. There was no sign of life.

Chewing nervously on her bottom lip, Janie took a deep breath and checked her surroundings. She hated to give up and leave but she couldn't just wait here all night, could she? Stepping out towards the edge of the sidewalk, she watched for an approaching streetcar. Nothing but an odd car or two went by. She heard laughter and drunken voices coming from somewhere across the street. Nothing to worry about, she told herself. She would just make her way towards the next streetcar stop and wait there. As she was about to take a step in that direction, she noticed the shadow of the very familiar self-talker, slowly coming towards her. He was unmistakable with that limp of his.

Oh no, now what? Maybe she was being silly. Just because he talked to himself didn't mean he was dangerous. Perhaps he'd simply walk on by as he'd done earlier. It was in that moment when she realized what a stupid move it was to have come all the way out here on her own. What if whoever was renting the apartment was anything like this guy coming towards her?

What if he was a serial killer? Perhaps this whole thing was a trap to lure unsuspecting victims to his apartment. Suddenly struck with irrational terror, she bolted, and frantically knocked on the art shop door. She hadn't seen the clerk leave. Surely he would help her. But it was so terribly dark in there, she realized, pressing her face against the glass door. Maybe he'd left through the back door.

Hearing the dreaded shuffle approach her from behind, she stepped out towards the edge of the sidewalk again, hoping upon hope that her assumption was right and that he'd simply pass her by on his way to nowhere. Only he didn't, not this time.

"Hi... hello, darling, I've missed you," he said, focusing his glazed eyes on her. "Hi, darling, I've missed you," he repeated.

She did her best to ignore him, to avoid eye contact at all costs, but he continued to smile as if he knew her.

"I told you I'd be back," he said with a twitching arm, digging into the front pocket of his grubby trousers.

By now, Janie's eyes were darting around desperately. It was in that very moment when something caught her attention. A light went on in the apartment above the shop and her heart almost leapt out of her chest. But how? She hadn't seen anyone go in. She'd been standing there the entire time.

"I've been away a very long time," the stranger said as he stepped closer. "Just got out of jail. Wasn't so bad. Three square meals a day."

Desperate now to get away from the man, she ran towards the door and rang the buzzer. When that didn't get her results, she knocked frantically.

"Don't go, darling. I've missed you," he said, approaching her once again. "It wasn't my fault," he said as his expression grew angry. "I didn't mean to do it."

Dear God... please, open up! She twisted and turned the knob, pounding on the door, standing with her back up against it. The crazy guy kept talking, his arm kept twitching and she kept her eyes focused on her feet. She felt a scream forming in her throat. Should she scream? Would she? Could she find her voice?

Suddenly the guy reached for her, but her scream came out sounding no louder than a mew of a kitten. That's when the door opened up behind her. She fell backwards and would have landed on her backside had she not been caught in some very capable arms. Turning her head to look upon the owner of those arms, it was then she realized she was truly doomed!