Chapter 27

"What's on your mind?" Falquen asked guardedly on the way back to the apartment. "You're awfully quiet."

"Well, honestly I was thinking about how little we know of each other," Janie said, looking sideways at him. He raised an eyebrow and frowned.

"Are you having second thoughts?" he asked apprehensively. "About us?" He gave her hand a squeeze.

Janie gasped and stopped walking. She waited for him to look at her but he wouldn't, preferring to avoid eye contact. How could he think that, after all they'd done together? The thought puzzled and disturbed her at the same time.

"Falquen, look at me," she said, reaching for both his hands. His handsome face was pained, his dark blue eyes full of apprehension as they met with hers. "I'm not going anywhere. I love you," she said with a tentative smile. "Why would you think I was having second thoughts? Are you?"

"No, not me," he said adamantly, pulling her into his embrace, ignoring the gawking passersby on the busy sidewalk. He held her tight, almost desperately. In the coffee shop window, he saw their reflection. They were so very different. He was a Goth, she a beautiful normal girl. Could they make it? Would they have enough in common? All these thoughts swirled around in his head. Tonight had been surprisingly pleasant. Yet he still worried. Could he give her everything she needed?

"Then don't be silly," she said, hugging him close. "I only meant that we should talk and share ourselves with each other."

"Oh, thank God," he said, awash with relief. "I couldn't bear it."

"Couldn't bear what?" she asked, nuzzling her face into his chest. He smelled wonderfully clean and warm.

"The thought of losing you," he said hoarsely. "My Janie..."

"Falquen... would you like some coffee?" she asked, looking lovingly up into his eyes. They needed to have a good long talk, Janie realized.

It was a small locally owned coffee shop, not one of those slick chains. It was warm and inviting and the overwhelming smell of fresh roasted beans greeted their noses as they entered. After ordering their cups of coffee, Janie paused and looked around for a spot for them to sit.

The little place was busy, all of the small tables were taken. Only a solitary armchair by the fireplace in the corner was vacant.

Taking her hand, Falquen made his way towards it, again ignoring the curious onlookers. They would always attract attention, he realized, and the thought made him wonder how Janie felt about it.

He sat down first and then invited her onto his lap. Carefully balancing her coffee, Janie more than happily joined him in the comfy chair.

"See how they stare?" Falquen whispered into her hair. "Goths and Normals alike." Janie looked around. There were other Goths and Normals in the little shop but they sat separately with their respective clusters, nonchalantly ignoring each other.

"Just like in high school, and art college," she whispered back.

"And like the rest of the world," he said with a sigh, gazing into her eyes. "We'll always be an odd couple. Can you handle it?"

"Of course," she said, leaning back and meeting his gaze. "It doesn't bother me at all. In fact I kind of like it."

"Do you?" he asked with a crooked smile.

"Yeah... it makes me want to take you home and..." she reddened and lost her nerve.

"And what?" he asked, giving her a squeeze, grazing his lips over her temple.

"You know..." she breathed deeply, snuggling into his chest. "In front of the bathroom mirror..." she whispered. The memory of their reflection in the mirror the other day caused her to shudder. She hadn't been able to get it out of her mind, the two of them, so different, so sexy.

"Oh, you liked that did you?" he asked huskily.

"Uh huh, you looked so hot. So wicked... so dark." She was having trouble holding her mug of coffee. He deftly took it from her and placed it on the hardwood floor by his.

"I didn't frighten you?" he whispered into her hair

"No... you never have," she said, burrowing into his chest. "You excite me and comfort me at the same time."

"You looked so sweet, so innocent and fragile," he said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her closer. "I had to have you. I wasn't too rough?"

"No... well, you were rough, but in a very good way," she said with a playful grin. "I'd like to do that again, in front of a mirror."

"Aw... Janie," he said with a mocking frown. "You're not going to get all kinky on me are you?"

Janie's jaw dropped and she sat up looking mortified. "Falquen!" She admonished and studied his expression. "I'm not like that." But then the twinkle in his eyes gave him away and his mouth twitched up into a smile. "You're laughing? Oh, you!" she said, shaking her head at him.

"Janie, I'll do anything with you. Anything you want," he said with a wicked grin. "The things we could do, the things we will do."

"Oh, F-Falquen... yes, p-please," she stuttered shakily, nervous and turned on at the same time.

"Aw, I love it when you stutter," he pouted at her. "Makes me want to eat you up."

Janie shifted on his lap, desire surging up through her core. If he wasn't careful, he might set her aflame. "Please, Falquen, enough with the dirty talk," she whispered, slowly coming to her senses, her fingers curling into his chest.

"All right, later then," he said, reluctantly, reaching for their coffee mugs, suddenly realizing that he'd forgotten everyone else in the cafe. They'd stopped staring, too. The thought reassured him.

"Yes, we're here to talk. To get to know each other better," she said, taking a sobering sip of coffee.

✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭

To be continued...

Did you enjoy this chapter? If you did, be kind enough to give it a star.

Falquen's Nest

Copyright © 2015 by Maria Bernard. All rights reserved.

ISBN: ISBN: 978-0-9731474-8-3

✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭༻♫༺✭