Chapter 32

An hour later, Janie sat huddled in a beanbag, wondering how in the world things could have gotten so miserable so quickly. She still couldn't believe that her parents had reacted in such a negative way over her relationship with Falquen. Then again she hadn't expected Charlotte's reaction either. It was ridiculous and old fashioned. Are people still so blind in this day and age that they can't see past a person's outward appearance?

Falquen was a good man. He was talented, responsible, kind, gentle. He was caring, generous and comforting but none of that seemed to matter to anyone but herself.

She missed him terribly at that moment. She was all alone, feeling abandoned by her friends and family. Mostly, though, she longed for his return.

Wandering the streets for what seemed like an eternity, Falquen had time to think things through. Janie's parents had reacted exactly the way he imagined they would. It was no secret that Goths like him were looked upon with fear and scorn by normal society's standards. In fact, he could almost sympathize with Jack and Cora. They were obviously worried for Janie's future.

When they thought of him with their daughter, all they could possibly think was that he was ruining her life. He would drag her down into his world of darkness. They probably imagined that she would change too. That she would start dressing in black, and God forbid, dye her beautiful blonde hair.

As he approached The Crypt, he wondered if Janie had left with her parents. Perhaps it would be for the best in the long run. As much as it would hurt to let her go, he would do it, if that was what she wanted. She could find herself a nice strait-laced young man, someone her parents would be proud to call their son-in-law one day. As idyllic as it sounded, the disturbing thought broke his heart as he slowly let himself in and climbed up the stairs.

By the time he reached the top step, he'd almost convinced himself that she had indeed left with her parents. His heart felt heavy in his chest at the idea of being without his Janie. He hesitantly checked the bedrooms and inwardly winced, not finding her. When he did finally find her curled up in the beanbag in the front room, he actually dropped to his knees with gratitude.

He said a silent prayer of thanks before he leant over her and kissed her salty tear stained cheeks. He realized in that moment that he would do anything for her. Knowing in his heart that he didn't want her to change a thing about herself, he realized what he had to do.

When Janie awoke the next morning, she was alone in Falquen's bed. She heard the shower going and smiled with relief. He'd come home sometime during the night. She'd been so worried about him ever since he'd left in haste. All sorts of disturbing thoughts had crossed her mind.

Glancing at herself, she realized somewhat disappointedly that she was still fully dressed in her clothes from the night before. She eventually got up and made breakfast while Falquen finished up in the shower.

"Good morning," he said, placing a kiss on her cheek while she stood by the stove scrambling some eggs.

"Falquen..." she said without turning around, gently nuzzling his chin. He smelled wonderfully clean and masculine. "I didn't hear you come in last night. I was so worried. I waited up as long as I could."

Falquen kissed the top of her head before moving away from her. He circled the counter and sat quietly waiting for her to turn around.

"Your eggs will be ready soon," she said, pouring him a cup of coffee. "There you go... Falquen?" She blinked in disbelief when she faced him. He'd removed all of his piercings, he'd tied his black hair back in a neat ponytail, he wore a plain white button down shirt and his nails were stripped of their usual black nail polish. He shrugged at her reaction and averted his eyes from her wonderstruck gaze.