Chapter 14

Hours went by before Falquen checked on Janie. In fact, he had been so inspired by her that they had missed lunch altogether. He knocked softly on the door frame so as not to startle her.

"May I have a look?" he asked when she looked over her shoulder. She shrugged and smiled shyly. He took it as a yes and approached the desk. He studied the brushstrokes.

"It's not finished yet," she said with a nervous sigh as he perused the painting.

"Of course, I wouldn't expect it to be finished so soon. I was only..."

"Looking for an element of danger?" she asked, disheartened.

Hearing the trepidation in her voice, Falquen decided to back off. There was nothing worse than too much expectation. If anyone could understand that, it was him. "Sorry, I didn't mean to intrude like that. The last thing an artist needs is pressure."

"How about you? Have you finished your latest painting?" she asked, happy to change the focus of his attention away from her.

A rare wide smile crossed his handsome face. "Almost."

"May I see?" she asked, getting up off the stool. She was stiff, she realized, having sat there for so long.

He nodded and led the way into the front room. Realizing how dark it had become, Janie startled and padded up close to Falquen. She took care not to bump into him when he stopped in front of his easel.

"What do you think?" he asked, looking her way.

"Now that's scary," she said, stepping closer to him. He hadn't even turned on the lamp above the stove, she realized. He had been working by candlelight. The eerie glow mixed with the intimidating image on the canvas caused her to shudder.

"Janie, you're too much." He chuckled, noticing how close she'd come, practically touching. "Come on, I suppose we should get on our way to Gray's place if we're going to make it for movie night."

"Oh, that's right," Janie said, noticing the time. "Should I change?"

Falquen faltered a moment. She looked better than perfect in his opinion. In a word so foreign to a Goth like him, cuddly came to mind, not to mention irritatingly huggable. "I don't see why. We're just going to his place to watch a movie. What you have on is fine."

Her fears momentarily forgotten, Janie gave him her best smile. "Great, I'll put on my coat," she said as she whirled around. "Are we walking or driving?"

"Walking." He took care to blow out the candles. "It's not too far a walk and I'll probably have a glass of wine or two while I'm there," he said, donning his leather jacket.

"Oh, okay," she said, descending the steps and waiting inside front door. It was awfully dark outside and a might blustery.

"Well, go on," he said with his key in hand. "I'm right behind you."

Janie waited out on the sidewalk as he locked the front door. She took a quick survey of their surroundings. But for a passing car or two, Queen Street was rather quiet and devoid of activity. It was Monday night after all.

For a couple of blocks, Janie stuck to Falquen like glue. He then turned down a side street, and then another. The farther they walked from the main street, the darker it got. There was barely a sound to be heard, but for their footsteps and the rustle of fallen leaves.

As they walked on, Janie became acutely aware of Falquen's proximity. She made sure to keep as near to his side as possible. The irrational idea of losing him at this point of their journey through the endless labyrinth of side streets caused her great anxiety. So many shadows, so many places for someone or something to lurk in.