Chapter 3

Back in our house, I stopped short just outside the living room. Kat and I listened as our dad argued with Brian. Back and forth about what Jace had done the night before and what was going to be done about it. Like it wasn't fully my decision. I felt my anger coming back up. It wasn't like they had a say in what was going to happen between Jace and me. That was up to me.

"And that family is being asked to leave," Brian said. We came around the corner to see him looking down at his son. "Because of your stupidity."

"Brian, this was just the last in a long list of things that family has done," Dad sat down. "They've been warned time and again." Dad looked up and saw me and Kat. "Oh, good. You have to come with me. We need you to alter their minds."

"Why her?" Jace looked up.

"She's the best. It's her combination of powers," Dad looked over at him. "We've helped her develop until she can be in and out of your mind very quickly."

"So, I'm removing myself from their memories?" I ignored the fact Jace was looking at me. I had to, I'd deal with him later.

"And Jace," Dad nodded and stood up. "Let's go do this, then you can start talking to Jace."

I nodded and followed him out. I could tell someone else was behind me, but I didn't look to see who. I was still trying to tell myself I just didn't have time to deal with a relationship. I was angry that he was being forced on me, and that I was going to have to start a life with him sooner rather than later. I knew Oliver would exert his authority over me and I'd have to marry him.

"Our moms are planning the wedding," Jace fell in step beside me once we were outside the house. "They say it's going to be in a month and a half."

"So, I really do have no say in this," I scoffed and looked up at the sky.

Jace reached over and stopped me. He glanced up at our fathers, who were ahead of us. "Is it true that if you wanted you could walk in and take over the entire Society? That you could put it in their heads that you're in charge? Or that they're giant chickens?"

"They're afraid of me," I nodded after I shot a look up at our fathers. "They think they need to keep me happy or I'll take over. But really, I want the government to be taken down. I hate the thought of them using kids like they do. I believe in choice."

"And you don't think we're a choice?" his face actually fell. Like he did like the thought of us, and I just told him that there was no chance.

"How do I know you don't want to be with me because of what I can do? Not who I am inside?" I felt my anger rising again. "You're one of the very few in this village who knows what I can do. How do I know you won't walk a little taller because you're married to one of the saviors of our country?" I wanted to push him away, he was standing too close. Instead, I didn't touch him at all. I turned and walked away.

"You don't know," Jace ran to catch up. "You just have to trust."

"I don't trust you," I kept looking ahead. "At all. Not after what you did last night. You looked at me with contempt. Like you didn't want to be anywhere near me." I stopped and looked at him. "Regardless of the fact that our wedding is in a month and a half, you have to woo me."

"Woo you?" Jace cocked an eyebrow at me. "Why?"

"Because you have to make me want to marry you, or I'll do just as Oliver fears I'll do," I moved a little closer to Jace. "I'll walk in there and make them all forget that you and I were supposed to be married. This is all up to me right now."

"I can do that," Jace assured me as we continued to walk. "I'll start right now."

"Why don't you wait until after I do what I have to do to clean up a little of your mess?" I was laying it on thick. I did want him to feel bad, because I wanted to see how much he really wanted this. All he did was nod.