Chapter 7

The scenery flashed by the windows as Theo drove. He and Aron were in the front, discussing strategies to get us to our destination. I had no idea where in Florida, not that I knew anything about the place at all.

Jace and I joined in the conversation at different points, because really, if I had to listen to one more giggle come from Kat, I was going to strangle her.

I wasn't one to talk, really, because Jace and I had only been married for a day. Maybe because we hadn't known each other as long as Matteo and Kat. I don't know. But, I wasn't in the mood to practically be in Jace's lap while we kissed in the car. I had more things on my mind.

Like the checkpoint we were approaching.

"This one wasn't on our list," Theo sounded a little panicked.

"Just have our papers ready," Jace sounded very in charge of the situation. "If anything looks like it's going to go wrong, Beatrix and I will step in."

We stopped just at the checkpoint, like we were supposed to, and Theo rolled down the window. An armed guard approached, and I could tell that everyone inside was tense.

"Papers?" the guard's voice gruff. He slung his gun over his shoulder to look at the papers saying we're citizens in good standing. "Where are you headed?"

"Those two," Theo jerked his thumb into the back, "were just married, and we're all on a trip. I'm going down to meet up with my wife, and he's" thumb indicating Aron now, "just along for the ride."

"Right," the guard handed the papers back. "Out of the vehicle."

"You know what to do," Jace whispered to me as we all got out.

"Well, isn't she a pretty one," another guard approaches and goes right to Kat. She was still in the wedding dress, and stood out more than I did. "What's your name, sweetheart?"

"Bianca," Kat said.

"Well, Bianca, you're going to be staying with us as the toll for going through this checkpoint," the guard sneered at her and grabbed her by the hair.

I didn't hesitate. Right into his head I went, planting in there that he didn't want Kat, or me, and that there is no toll.

I didn't know there was another guard, and he came out and grabbed Kat. Had her down on the ground before Aron or Theo could get to him.

The other guards leveled their guns at the other guys. Jace must have been creating illusions, because all the guards started batting at something none of the rest of us could see.

"You know what to do," Jace said.

Theo made a run to the guard shack. He'd be taking care of the footage they'd be recording.

Again, I got into all their minds. I erased the fact that any of us had been here, and put the image of Lance into their heads. While I had them down, Theo and Aron stepped up to hit each one of them. I hated that had to be done, but it was either I put Lance in their heads, or I had them turn on each other.

That was something I knew I'd have to do later, and that thought made me shiver. But, Dad was right, this was a war. At the same time, I didn't want to put too many images of Lance out there, or leave too many bodies around, that wouldn't do us any good, and would probably have everyone looking for us.

After I reprogrammed them, and Matteo said he was finished, we got back into the vehicle. Just to be safe, I kept them under my control until we were on the other side of the checkpoint. I released them as they closed the gate, and we were off.

"And you're sure that no one can get through their minds?" Theo turned to look at me. He and Aron had switched places, and Aron was driving.

"No," I shook my head. "Well, if they do, they'll think it was Lance. I've been through some heads that he altered, and know what he tried to do to me once or twice, so I know his signature, if you will. I left it all over their minds."