Chapter 14

The next day, Selene gave us our new schedules. I could hardly look at her, and I had to try really hard not to throw up again. Jace and Theo were going to be out all day doing some maintenance landscaping, and I was going to be in the greenhouses.

When she told me I didn't need to be in the office any more, I was happy, and a little upset. How else was I going to get information?

Since I wouldn't be in the office, I did my best to watch all the comings and goings of people around the nursery. Trying to see if anyone from my old village showed up.

I finally came to the conclusion that they must all be staying away.

As soon as Selene said I didn't need to be in the office, I knew why. How else could they get the guns out without me seeing?

Of course I managed to be outside and do some mind-reading as I was walking between greenhouses. By taking the long way around the offices hoping to not get caught.

The guns were being moved to the old university. Boys and girls around the age of seventeen were being recruited and would be moving in there. They would be trained by other soldiers, and be ready to fight.

All of this supposedly to put into place the committee of people that was supposedly out West somewhere.

Right, a committee made up of Brian Cavanaugh and Neil Warren.

This went on for days. We didn't go back to Philip with any more information, there was no point. There was nothing new to tell, just comings and goings.

And me getting to be witness my dad and Selene.

Three days into all of this, I was at the back of the growing greenhouse, watering the plants. I was rather proud of my plants, they were doing well so far. I'd started some other seeds, hoping they wouldn't take long to sprout.

I'd just bent down to pick up the hose when I heard voices.

Voices I knew.

"You will bring me information about Beatrix," Dad's voice sounded weird. I knew he was putting suggestions into someone's head. I peeked over the table and saw that it was Gabina. "Do this by any means necessary, even flirt with her husband if you have to. I want to know every little thing about her."

"Yes, sir," Gabina's voice was bland. The voice of someone who was agreeing to programming.

"Good," Dad patted her on the shoulder. That sort of thing could break the spell. "So, what do you do in here?"

"This is where we plant seeds and get things started," Gabina started showing him around. I rolled under the table I was at.

They spent a few more minutes before I heard my Dad walk out. I had to make my move.

"Gabina," I called and she turned to me.

"Hi, Beatrix," she smiled, acting like nothing was wrong.

As fast as I could, I went into her head. I saw that my dad only put one suggestion in there: to spy on me and report back on any little thing. So, I removed that. I also removed the fact that she'd talked to me. In place of that memory, I put in place that she'd just talked to my dad and showed him around a bit. He'd said nothing to her about me at all.

"If Neil Warren says anything to you about me, Beatrix Cavanaugh, or about Jace Cavanaugh, come and ask me about lemon verbena," I tried to put in an unusual herb.

"Yes," Gabina nodded.

I released her, and as she turned, I removed from her memory the fact she'd seen me. The only thing left was that she'd come ask me about lemon verbena if my dad said anything about me to her.