Chapter 10

We spent some time hashing out what exactly we should look for, and who we could trust. Otka's network was far reaching. In fact, she made a few calls and had Jace removed from patrols, along with Theo. We were assured that he was there for us, and we could trust him. He would be removed with us and taken to England when we were finished.

As it turned out, Theo had been hand selected to work with us. He was from England, and came over with Otka. She'd known him since he was a child, and she wanted him in our former village so I'd be comfortable with him. I'd never thought about it before, Theo had in fact always been there. He was a few years older than me, and had always been nice to me. Now I understood everything, and appreciated him more.

Edward, as he insisted that we call him, told us some of the things he'd like for us to find.

"This is the man you'll be working with," Edward indicated a younger man who walked into the room. He was blond with brown eyes. Not as tall as Edward, but just as regal looking. "He's my younger brother, Philip."

"Would you have a problem if I just put the information into your head?" I looked at Philip after we'd shaken hands with him. "That was usually how I gave the information."

"That would be fine," Philip twisted a ring. "Edward and I are both able to read minds, so we can also tell if someone is lying."

"Are you immune to that?" Jace looked at me.

"He can read my mind," I told Jace then looked at Edward and Philip. "I can't be dominated though. And you know about illusions."

"We wear amber in our rings to protect us from being dominated," Edward told us. "No one has ever been successful."

"Good," Otka grinned. "Now, there is a meeting next week that we want you both to try to get into.

Before we left, we set up a meeting place. It would be very public, but only late at night. Theo was to always accompany us, and that I would impart all the information directly to Philip's mind, unless we had documents of some sort to hand over. Anything dealing with what they wanted with England, or dates when they planned to take down the government. Then they would get us out.

Back at our house, I started making dinner. Jace dealt with someone at the door who informed him there had been a mistake, and we were both to report to the nursery where I'd bought my plants. Our job would start there tomorrow morning. Jace and Theo would be making deliveries, and I would be working with the plants, and doing some office work. I hoped this had been taken care of by Otka, and that she knew what she was doing. I felt like we should have been in the Police or at the training facility. But, what did I know?

Theo came over for dinner, and we decided to take it down to the beach. He tried to protest that he would have felt like he was intruding on something romantic, but we insisted.

On the beach, and once Theo was satisfied there was no listening device in our picnic basket, he had some little device that he waved over it, we discussed how we would handle getting the information. For the first time, I wished I could cast illusions, because then I could make myself blend in with my surroundings and just get all the information we needed.

Luckily I had a very good memory and could put a picture of paperwork into Philip's head if need be.

Dinner conversation consisted of how we could blend in at the nursery and not draw attention to ourselves outside of being new people.

After dinner, I cleaned up and Jace and Theo swept the house for listening devices. They found two, and Theo used another device to short them out. He showed Jace how to disable them so it looked natural. Not like we'd found them and crushed them.