Chapter 20

Our first day of leisure, wasn't. My dad showed up just after breakfast saying he wanted us to go to the training facility so I could learn to shoot a gun. I knew how, but we still went along with him. It was Saturday, and that honestly meant that at any time, we could be attacked. My real hopes were that Edward would get us out before it all started, but I knew that was wistful thinking.

To make my father happy, Theo stepped up to instruct me on proper stance with the gun, how to load and reload, and aim. Aron was there, but he was now an instructor. Matteo came out briefly, he had some computer print outs to give to my dad, and we asked him about Katerina.

"I've not seen her since I told your dad to deal with it," he sighed. "Divorce papers were delivered to me, so apparently we're no longer married. I'm sorry I can't tell you any more. I have to get back." Before he walked away, I hugged him and wished him luck.

By lunchtime, Dad seemed to be satisfied with my gun skills, so he sent Jace and Theo to work out with the new recruits for the rest of the afternoon.

As for me, I shadowed Dad, Brian, and Oliver, trying to get a read on some of the officers they had. All of them were loyal to this cause, even if they didn't know exactly what it was they were fighting for. They wanted to see the Assertives out and the lands unified.

Brian and my dad did a really great job selling their so-called plans for Avalon. I cringed on the inside, wanting to be as far away from all of them as possible. England was really sounding good.

At the end of the day, I was anxious to see Jace and get out of there. I wanted to be as far away from my father as I possibly could be. And the body armor that Jace insisted that I wear "just in case" was starting to get hot and uncomfortable. Sure, I knew if there had been an attack, and I'd been shot, I would have been happy I could get up and walk away. Didn't mean I liked wearing it in the Florida heat.

Jace found us as we stood in the center of campus. Dad was pointing something out to Brian when I saw my husband, hot and sweaty walking toward me. He cracked a grin when he was sure I was watching him, and my heart stopped. Several female recruits watched as he walked across campus, pointing and whispering. I knew they wanted what was mine. I wanted it too. He was breathtaking with his hair plastered to his head, and his black tshirt stretched tight across his chest. Not that it was possible, but his arms looked more muscular. His legs stronger in the cargo pants he was wearing. I loved how he had his pants tucked into his boots, just like a real soldier.

If it hadn't been totally improper, I would have jumped him right where we were.

"Hey, Angel," he pulled me to him and kissed me, putting on a show for everyone around us. "Missed you."

"Missed you," I was breathless after that kiss. It held promise of so much more, and I wanted more, five minutes ago.

Dad and Brian stayed behind, so Theo was given a car for us to drive home. We were expected to be back the next morning.

I was not looking forward to it.

Jace made it all up to me. He pulled me into the shower with him, adjusted the shower so it was falling down on us, then pinned me against the wall. Between his kisses, his sheer strength holding me against the wall as he pushed into me, and the water falling on us, I was on sensory overload.

It was the best ever, and totally erased the day from my mind.

I wished it would have lasted until the next day. I didn't really want to go back to the training facility and walk around reading people's minds. There were times I hated that I could. Everyone needed a bit of privacy.

Everything changed though when we saw there was a package in our kitchen. After we freaked out over the fact someone had been in our house, we quietly opened it and saw two helmets. The only explanation was "be prepared."