Chapter 12

I hid in the very back greenhouse. That was the one where we did all of our planting and growing. I loved tending to those plants, Being in there meant that I was out of the public of people looking for plants, because if my dad and Brian were there, I didn't want to be seen.

More importantly, I didn't want to see them.

I was so preoccupied with my thoughts, I didn't hear someone walk up behind me. Even though the floor of the greenhouse is gravel.

"Hey, beautiful," Jace's smooth voice purred into my ear. I screamed, and the hose I was using to water the plants went wild, soaking the glass. "I'm sorry, Rix. I thought you heard me." He took the hose away from me before I got either of us wet.

"No, I was in my own head," I had my hand over my heart, hoping to calm down.

"I thought I saw you come in here," Otka was standing behind us, looking at Jace. "Didn't know this was where you ended up."

Taking our cues from what she just said, we knew how to react. "It's good to see you," I went to hug her, since we'd known each other since I was a very little girl. "We need to meet with Philip," I whispered into her ear.

"My house, tonight," she whispered before pulling back. "How was your trip?"

"Eventful," Jace smirked.

"What brings you in?" I wiped some water off my face. I wasn't quite as careful with it as I'd originally thought.

"I'd like to get a couple of houseplants, and I need some new lavender plants. Those are my favorites."

"Sure, this way," I started walking out of the greenhouse.

Once we had Otka settled, we were finally able to go home.

I was so preoccupied again, Theo jumped in and made dinner. I wanted nothing more than to tell them what I'd heard, but I just couldn't yet. The kitchen had a listening device, and we were giving it another day or two before we disabled it.

Jace walked to the back door to open it, we'd decided to sit outside because it was so nice. He opened the door, and stepped out. "What the hell?" his voice drifted back into the house.

I looked at Theo, and we both shrugged. I decided to see what was going on, and walked out.

Jace was standing on the patio talking to Kat. "What's going on?"

"Well, like I was just telling Jace," Kat pointed to my husband, "I was trying to find you guys, and no one answered the front door. I knocked three or four times really hard, Bea, and no one answered."

There were several thing wrong with what she'd said. Even as preoccupied as I was, I would have heard the door, and she didn't knock. Not to mention we had a doorbell, and every other time she'd rung it. Even if I didn't hear her knocking, Jace would have. He was concerned about what was going on with me, but he understood, and wouldn't press.

Finally, Kat never called me Bea. Ever. No one did. Mom and Dad always called me Beatrix. Kat called me Rix, and Jace did. Seems that Jace was the only one. Everyone else called me Beatrix.

"Guess we didn't hear you," I looked at her, then at Jace. The look on his face let me know we'd be talking later. "What's up?"

"I just wanted to see how work was," Kat smiled. And blinked. A lot.

There was something wrong, but I wasn't ready to admit it to myself, much less out loud. I couldn't.

"Do you want to stay for dinner?" Jace asked her.