Chapter 18

"That really happened," I was sitting on the beach, staring at the water. "Just boom!" I threw my hands up. "And she was dead."

"Yes, Angel," Jace sounded annoyed with me, "it happened. You were there."

"Sorry," I mumbled and looked down.

"I'm sorry," Jace pulled me to him. "You've been through so much in a very short period of time, and I think I'm forgetting that."

"Don't worry about it," I hooked my arms around him and pulled him down. "When all this is over, I'll have a good cry about it. I mean, it has to end soon, right? There has to be an exit strategy by now."

"We should go talk to Philip," Jace rolled so he was on top of me. "Get this all settled and figured out. I want away from this place, it feels toxic. Like we'll be the next to go crazy, or face the firing squad."

"Yeah, no thanks," I couldn't resist lifting up to nip at his lips.

"Even after all that happened today, you want to do that?" he looked down at me.

"Yes," I nodded. "Especially after all that happened today. I need to feel something real. Something good. Something special."

Jace lowered himself onto me and kissed me slowly. Softly. Along my jaw and down my neck. He took his time getting me undressed. I wanted it faster, rougher, but he was determined to take his time.

And he did. Our lovemaking was slow, and at times tortuous, but it was exactly what I needed. We'd gotten dressed and were back at the house before Theo came to find us.

"We need to go talk to Philip. Now," he looked angry.

"Did something else happen?" Jace pulled me behind him, as if he wanted to protect me.

"No, but you have to admit after today, something's going to soon," he led the way to the car.

We took our time getting to Otka's, not that anyone followed us. Everyone we passed seemed to be standing in clumps, no doubt talking about what happened hours earlier.

Philip, as it turned out, had been there and witnessed the event. He still found it a stroke of genius that we'd set Selene up in that way. It worked well for us, as I only had the work relationship with Selene, and since my father wasn't even acknowledging that I was in the village, no need for anyone to feel weird around me.

"How are you getting us out?" Theo didn't hesitate. He wanted to know exactly what was going to happen, and more importantly, when.

"Next week," Philip leaned forward in his chair. "Something big is happening next week. You'll be on the lookout for a man named James. He is going to drop something off at your house, you are to wear it next Wednesday."

"What is it?" Theo matched Philip's stance. "They're not going to be wearing bombs, are they?"

"They're far too valuable for that," Philip clasped his hands together. "No, he's bringing you all body armor. There's going to be a big battle, and even though we're going to kill you off, we don't want you to die."

"What?" Jace looked confused, I'm sure my face matched his. "Kill us off, but you don't want us to die?"

"We have two bodies that are currently frozen. They died in a car crash. We're going to bring them in and have them be you," Philip explained. "Given that there's going to be a huge battle no one is going to examine the bodies that closely. Especially if they're shot up."

"Is that necessary?" my blood seemed to drop, and my heart stopped.

"They're dead," Theo looked at me. "They won't care. This is about getting you two out."