iv : midnight conversions

That night Olivia couldn't sleep. For hours and hours, she had been trying to find a comfortable position. Her mind was raced with hundreds of random thoughts. Occasionally she would remember something from her past which would make her shiver in embarrassment. All these thoughts were making her head spin.

Tiredly, she glanced over at the clock on the wall to see how long she had left to sleep. 2:53. Olivia figured that if she had something to eat, it would perhaps make her sleepy. Olivia stood up, trying not to wake the girls who were all sleeping peacefully. Quietly, she exited her dorm room. The only movement coming from  the common room was the dancing flames from the fireplace and Rowena Ravenclaws portrait was sleeping silently.

Olivia silently walked down the corridor, making sure to stay in the shadows. Every so often, she would check behind her and up ahead to see if Flitch was lurking down a dark corridor, with his cat Mrs.Norris, searching for students who were out of bed.

Olivia had finally made it to the portrait of a bowl of fruit. Looking from left to right to make sure the coast was clear, she outstretched her hand and tickled the green pear, who started giggling frantically. A bronze doorknob grew out of the painting and Olivia quickly twisted it and slipped into the room.

As she reached the end of the stairs, Olivia was greeted by hundreds of tiny house elves. Some wore dresses and some wore rags. Some had blue eyes and some had brown. Each of them bowed and curtsied, their bat-like ears flapping. "Hellos Miss Delvano. Mys names is Inky". A little elf wearing a grey dress squeaked.

"Hello Inky. Could you maybe get me something to eat?I'm very hungry".Olivia explained to her. Suddenly, little elves were moving this way and that, going faster than their little legs could take them. In what seemed like no time at all, a large fluffy muffin were presented on a small gold plate in front of me. "Thank you. Goodnight". Olivia said as they bowed once more. Olivia poked her head out the door, and checked to see if Flitch was anywhere in sight. Luckily he wasn't.

Olivia was walking silently back to Ravenclaw Tower, enjoying her muffin, when two peoples voices made her freeze in her tracks.

"Are you sure you want to do this?". A voice Olivia recognised fill the dark corridor.

"I told you I was thinking about it!" Said another voice said, a voice which she also recognised, Olivia walked into the darkness, and hid herself behind one of the many statues lining the corridor.

"You don't have time to wait. He will want an answer soon". The first whispered loudly. It was a deep voice, a voice so unique she recognised it almost immediately. Severus Snape. She was confused to what they were talking about, and who Snape was talking to. Olivia knew that whoever it was, they must be very important, as they both were speaking in hush tones with fear and anger riddled between their words.

"When I have made up my mind, I will inform you. No point waiting for me to make my decision". The second voice whispered lowly. He sighed and looked around. Olivia pushed herself closer to the statue, not wanting them to know she was there.

"Let's get back. Its late". Said the second voice, and the pair walked back the way Olivia had come. When Olivia squinted her eyes to see who Snape was talking to, she almost dropped her plate in shock.

The two boys both walked away silently, unaware that Olivia had just heard every word of their discussion. Confused, she walked back to Ravenclaw tower, the incident replaying in her mind. When she reached the eagle knocker, it came alive again "I have two arms, but fingers none. I have two feet, but cannot run. I carry well, but I have found I carry best when my arms are on the ground. What am I?"

"A.....wheelbarrow" Olivia answered, not confident with her answer. The bronze eagle nodded and a doorknob appeared. Olivia could have sworn that she saw the eagle roll its eyes, but then again, she was tired and it was a doorknob. Olivia tiptoed into the common room to see that the flames had died but thankfully, Rowena was still asleep.

Olivia quietly opened her dorm room door quietly to find the girls were still asleep. Olivia was inches away from her bed when she tripped over Cordelia's trunk which was laying in the middle of the floor. She hit the floor with a thump and yelled out a word that her mother certainly wouldn't be proud of.

"Ollie?" Marie whispered, sitting up in her bed." What were you doing?" she asked rubbing her sore eyes.

"Just getting a drink" Olivia lied swiftly, finally getting into bed. Marie frowned.

"Where did you get that muffin from?" She asked, puzzled.

"Uh, I found it". Olivia lied again. Olivia didn't like lying to her, and quite frankly she wasn't very good at it, but if she didn't lie, she knew Marie would ask a hundred more questions.

"Oh". Marie mumbled, resting her head back on her pillow and closing her eyes, falling back into her slumber. Olivia laid her head on her pillow, tossing her muffin aside as she thought of what Severus Snape and Regulus Black were talking about in the corridor at 3am.