vi : partners

"And that's is how I almost got killed by the giant squid". Marie finished her story, giggling hysterically. The three girls were all laughing loudly, clutching their aching stomachs. Once their laughter had died down, they took a big breath, which only made them giggle again. Other people around them had started glaring and telling us to be quiet, obviously not liking being disrupted while trying to eat their breakfast.

It had been two weeks since school had started and things were back the way they were before. Olivia had been enjoying her classes. She was doing extremely well, and teachers seemed impressed with her efforts to participate in class.

Olivia was in the middle of reading her book when Professor McGonagalls voice rang through the Great Hall. "All students from fifth year and above, please gather at the fourth floor transfiguration room instead of attending your first lesson".

Excited whispers came from all around the Great Hall. Many of the younger students groaned due to not being included. Olivia turned to the girls, a confused look on all their faces."What do you reckon it about".

"Don't know". Cordelia said slowly."But if McGonagalls excited 'bout it, it can't be good".

"As you know, each year on Halloween, we have our traditional Halloween Feast. But this year is going to be a little different. After the younger students have gone to bed, we will be holding a Halloween Ball". The boys side of the room burst into loud groans but most of the girls broke into little squeals. Olivia didn't find this amusing, and simply sighed. A ball was all she needed.

"Silence! It's still 6 weeks until the ball so please do not lose your minds just yet. Every Thursday afternoon, we will met here and practice until the week of the ball. Get up on your feet everyone, find a partner and get ready for the first song to start!"

Everybody jumped to their feet, not wanting to be stuck with a bad partner. Cordelia had gotten with some random Hufflepuff boy and Marie had gone to find her crush. Olivia was running out of options and she had started to panic. She saw that many other people were also struggling to find a partner, and even a few fights between people had broken out. McGonagall, who was looking extremely displeased, yelled for everyone to be silent.

"Disgraceful! As you cannot put yourself into pairs, I will do it for you!" She yelled as she went around pairing people off. Within a minute, she came around to Olivia.

"Delvano, Black, pair up! Not you, Sirius, you're with me. I meant the other Black." She said hastily. Olivia groaned. No, no, no! Anyone but him, she thought to herself. She turned around to see Black looking at her, equally displeased.

She walked over to Black, not even bothering to say a word to him. The music began to play and people began to dance. Regulus began to reach out his hand, but Olivia dodged it. "Don't touch me, Black!"

"I have to, otherwise McGonagall will lose it, Delvano." He said, frowning. She looked at him skeptically with narrow eyes.

"Fine! But mind yourself Black." She said disgusted. He gently placed his hand on her waist, and she rested her hand on his shoulder. They rested their hands together, and they tried to look anywhere but at each other.

Regulus was not a good dancer. He continuously stood on her feet, which made them both stumble slightly. Her mother had always told Olivia that, while she did possess many talents, dancing was definitely not one of them. "You're a shit dancer, Black." Olivia said to him.

"Don't be too proud, Delvano. I'll be surprised if you haven't broken any of my toes." He replied with a glare.

The song ended and McGonagall allowed for them to find their own new partners. Olivia searched around the room for a new partner when she spotted Paxton, who also did not have a partner.

Olivia tapped on his shoulder and he turned around. He knew what she was going to ask, so he nodded and placed his hand on her waist. When McGonagall started the music, they began to dance. Paxton was somehow worse at dancing than Regulus, as he continued to turn the wrong way and was frequently forgetting what step was next.

Olivia couldn't take five steps with him standing on her feet, which made her wince in pain. Each time he would apologise, but it was getting old very fast. It was just her luck when McGonagall told them to switch partners for the last time.

Olivia search around frantically for someone to have her last dance with, when a fake posh accent stopped her search. "May I have this dance, my lady?"

She smiled and turned around to find Quentin Applewhite, a sixth year Ravenclaw, smiling at her. "Why yes, I suppose so".

McGonagall began the last song and they both danced in sync. Quentin was attractive, to say the very least. He had a tan skin and beautiful brown eyes with a lovely glimmer in them. His brown hair stood up tall and slicked back. He stood around 6 foot and he was full of muscle. "Are you going to the dance with Kian?"

Kian and Quentin were together. Olivia knew that being gay, especially in school, was practically never talked about. But just because it was never talked about, did not mean it did not happen. Kian had dark skin and also stood around 6 foot also. Olivia grew up in the same county as Kian, so they were always quite close. "Of course. Who are you going with?" he asked her.

Olivia didn't have anyone to go with. Sure, she could attend alone, however, as it was her first school ball, she wanted to go with a partner. Olivia was too shy to ask anyone, though, which didn't work in her favour.

"I don't know. I'll just see if anyone comes in mind". The bell suddenly rang and the music was stopped.

"Alright. Off to class now. We will met here the same time next Thursday". McGonagall told us, waving her wand that the desks and chair which all moved back into place.

Olivia grabbed her bag and headed out the door. Regulus was waiting by the door. She barged past him, accidentally knocking him a bit too hard.

When she was already out the door, she heard loud approaching footsteps. She turned around to see Regulus Black, and she rolled her eyes at him.

"Delvano! I wanna talk to you!" He said angrily. "What is your problem, huh? I have done nothing to you!"

"What are you talking about! I'm trying to mind my own business. You started all this." Olivia retorted, her face growing red. "Just leave me alone, Black."

"You stay out of my way, I'll stay out of yours!" Regulus argued with her. She rolled her eyes, and threw her arms up on the air.

"Finally! Something we can agree on!" She said, muttering a stream of curse words under her breath as she left Regulus standing by himself.