xviii : the trials and tribulations of writing a letter

It was finally Christmas Eve, and many students were excitedly chatting in the Great Hall before dinner was served. Olivia sat alone, her mind racing. She had a gut feeling that she should've gone home for Christmas, but she didn't know why. Olivia had a feeling in the pit of her stomach that something horrible was about to happen, however she tried not to think too much of it. She halfheartedly flipped through the Daily Prophet, not really paying attention until she glanced down at the article in front of her.

'On Thursday evening , at 7:04, The Ministry of Magic was attacked by three unidentified wizards, most likely deatheaters. 7 workers were injured while another 5 died on scene. These pupils were Atticus Hoy (37), Mellinger Ramendus (24), Octavia Dalenja (25), Elias Hudson (35) and Nicoletta Shellnear (29). All of whom were believed to have turned down offers to join You-Know-Who and his army. The Minister says he is unsure of if another attack could happen, but he is preventing it from happening'. 

As the article ended, Olivia felt a heavy amount of stress on her shoulders. Olivia thought of her father, who worked at the Ministry, and worked with those people. She still hadn't written back to her father, so instead of reading more horrible news, she decided to keep her words, and began writing back to her father.

Giant trees were in a line neatly, all decorated identically with balls and tinsel. My tiny Santa Clauses rode around the room on broomstick, chanting "Ho Ho Ho". Holly and ivy were on the tables perfectly and the snow fell from the ceiling.

Olivia had only just started to write her letter, when saw Snape awkwardly run into the Great Hall. She eyed him suspiciously as she watched him pull up his hood and sit with a random group of first year Slytherins. They all gave him strange looks, but he only put his head down further. Olivia shook it off. Snape had always been strange, so she never questioned much when it came to him.

She should've known what was going on, though, as Potter and Sirius Black came bounding through the doors of the Great Hall, scanning all around. When their quick search didn't help them, they approached the person who was sitting closest to them.

"Evening, Delvano." Sirius said charmingly. Olivia looked up from her letter, an eyebrow quirked.

"Good evening, Black." She replied curtly. "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"My dear James and I were just wondering if you had seen a little slimy git by the name of Severus Snape lately?" Sirius answered, sharing a cheeky grin with James. "It's urgent."

Olivia sighed. She didn't really know what to do in a situation like this. She didn't care much more either of them. She knew it was wrong to tell them where Snape was, especially since it would mostly likely end in Snape being hexed. By out of the two of them, she preferred the two Gryffindor boys.

"He's over there, sitting with those first year Slytherins." She admitted, nudging her head in his direction. They looked over their shoulder at him, before turning back to Olivia excitedly.

"Thank you for your service, Delvano." They exclaimed, before they walked in the direction of Snape. Olivia rolled her eyes, before continuing to write her letter. She had only just written a sentence, before she heard another voice.

"Why were you talking to my brother?" He asked inquisitively. Olivia swore under her breath, before looking up at him. His eyebrow was quirked, and his arms were folded.

"Thats none of your business." She replied.

"He's my brother."

Olivia was the one to quirk her eyebrow this time. "I thought you didn't like your brother."

Regulus shifted. "That's none of your business."

"I suppose we're even now." She replied shortly, as she returned back to writing her letter. She was taken back when he sat down across from her, though she still didn't look up from her seat. "Can I help you?"

"Merlin, you're particularly bitchy today." He chuckled to himself, though he didn't seem particularly amused.

"I don't like you, Black. I don't trust you. I don't like your family, I don't like your values, and I don't like your friends." She said angrily as she gripped her quill tighter and together.

"Me? You're a heinous bitch! All you do all day everyday is terrorise everyone you dislike!" Regulus said defensively.

"Expressing my opinion is not a terrorist attack." She said, as she slammed down her quill and began to fold up her letter. "Now run along."

Regulus got up from his seat, a stormed off, not before he angrily said "God, Delvano. You suck."

"You suck." Olivia said in a mockingly deep tone, as she packed up the last of her stuff, and headed towards the owlery.