xvii : an unlikely friendship

Olivia stood in the Ravenclaw common room, humming "Hark! The Herald Angels" as she decorated the tree. Most witches or wizards would of easily just used magic to decorate it, but Olivia felt that it was a lot more fun to do it the muggle way.

It was only a couple of days until Christmas. It was quite a gloomy day. The sky was dull and grey while there was a good 4 feet of snow. The bitter cold of the winter air and the frosty breeze made it almost impossible to even step outside.

Olivia, along with two first years and a fourth year, decorated the beautiful Christmas tree. 3 seventh years were huddled in the corner while 2 third years played wizards chess on a table. A fifth year girl was using magic to hang the holly and ivy from the top of the fireplace, which warmed up the entire room.

The statue of Rowena Ravenclaw observed the quiet room peacefully, though you could faintly hear her humming "The First Noel". Olivia stood back from the decorated tree, a huge smile on her face.

One of the first years picked up the glass little angel with care, and placed it on top of the tall three. As her eyes looked across the giant tree, Olivia couldn't help but feel a warm, fuzzy feeling inside of her.

Christmas at Hogwarts was so different to Christmas at her house. Christmas at Hogwarts was warm, and friendly. Christmas at her house was cold, and formal, and just rather unpleasant. Olivia has always preferred her Christmas's at Hogwarts.

It was decorated in beautiful blue and silver ball, along with a few glass ordainments. White tinsel was wrapped around the tree from top to bottom. The angel on the top had a soft and sweet completion, her gold hair shining.

There came a series of taps at the nearby window. Olivia raced over to the window, where Romeo was perched on the old windowsill with a letter tied to his small leg. He squeaked at her to untie. "Alright, you big bully". Olivia said, untying the letter from his leg. She unfolded the letter, her heart warming at the familiar writing.

"Olivia, I do hope that you're alright. Things have been very dangerous around here and I can not see them getting better. Your mother and I are glad that you're at Hogwarts this Christmas, as the death eater attacks are multiplying everyday around the whole world. Nothing is safe anymore which is why your sisters have fled the country, typically. You won't be missing out on much back at home though, as the entire family aren't coming for Christmas because you kids won't be at home. I hope you do have a splendid holiday and a wonderful Christmas. I love you so much, Olivia.

Gabriel Delvano, your father".

Olivia smiled at the letter from her father. He was alway much more kind than her mother was, his presence could make anyone feel at ease. Olivia made a plan to write back to him that evening.

—————————————————————-
It was just after lunch that same day, and Olivia walked across the Hogwarts grounds, with a huge box in her hands. She made her way down to Hagrid's hut, excited to see the friendly half-giant. Hagrid had always been happy to see her, and she was always delighted to see him too. They shared a love for all creatures, magical or not, and always knew that many creatures were so much more complex than most average people believed them to be.

The box rattled slightly in Olivia's hands when she almost slipped on a small frozen puddle. It was a mug (although it was the size of a kettle) with the Hogwarts castle sketched onto it. Olivia had made it a few weeks ago and she had been waiting until Christmas so she could give it to him.

Olivia stepped onto the wooden stairs and knocked on the oak door loudly. She heard giant thumps coming towards the door along with loud barking.

A large man opened the door, his black beard bushy and messy. He was wearing a giant red polkadot apron with matching oven mitts. "'Ello, 'Livia. Come in".

Olivia stepped up into the small cottage like home that smelt of freshly baked cookies. She walked over to the old round wooden table and sat down, placing the gift in front of her. A large slobbering dog came up to her, resting its head in her lap, indicating that she wanted to be pet.

Olivia played with its ears as Hagrid came and sat down at the seat in front of her. "Dolly, leave 'er alone. Silly thing." He scowled the black dog, who continued to slobber on her leg.

Hagrid smiled as he pushed a plate of cookies shaped like Christmas themed objects. They had all been decorated with colourful icing and her heart warmed at the sight. Olivia took a bite out of a snowmans head, smiling. "Thank you, Hagrid".

"So, what brings 'yer 'here today?" He asked, taking a bite from his own cookie. Olivia swallowed the rest of her cookie and smiled excitedly, placing the box in front of Hagrid.

"I just wanted to give you this". Olivia grinned as he lifted the lid off the box. His face lit up as he took the mug out of the box. He studied the design greatly and his amazement didn't hide.

"Thank 'ya so much. It means a lot". He said joyfully as his voice cracked. Olivia stood up and gave him a big hug, even though he was still twice her height, despite the fact that he still sitting down.

Olivia stayed at Hagrids for the rest of the afternoon. She loved his company, and hearing all his stories about his various creatures. It was an unlikely friendship, admittedly, but Hagrid was very dear to Olivia, as Olivia was to Hagrid.