CHAPTER 3: Three Black Letters

DANCING, constant dancing all night long and the party continued. I had to hop off the dance floor before I dropped from dehydration. I felt like the peach punch that I had at the start of the night but it was sure to be spiked so I headed to the kitchen for some water. I found a familiar face standing next to a skeleton, she looked around searching for something or someone until her eyes landed on me. Had Lacey calmed down already or was she looking for a fight? I grabbed a glass and made my way over in anyway, she was next to the tap.

"What does it mean?" she blurted out unable to restrain herself. "To be honest with you, I have no idea. I only have one other imprint which is a bow around my ankle. I got that 1 and a half years ago and I still don't know what it means," that was true. I had gotten it from a man named Amorson et Caeruleis, our families are enemies. He also gave me a parting gift know as a notam tormenta, mark of torture. It was a snake that liked to move around my body but usually rested on my stomach or my chest, sometimes both. I had later named him Auguem. "It has to have some meaning behind it. The Greats don't give these out for nothing," her brows her furrowed, she was getting frustrated but she was still scared. To be honest so was I.

"I know that! I am at a party, I haven't had the time to search it up on the web or pour through books and it wouldn't help. All the sources on imprints are either made up or basic information you learnt in middle school. There is nothing concrete," I took a big gulp, I really did need that drink.

"Well that's because this topic could only be found in ancient journals that the government burned long ago. I don't know why you are even trying Lace," the skeleton beside her butted in. I flicked my eyes in his direction. A leather jacket hung loosely on his shoulders, a pair of black skinny jeans hung even looser around his bone legs. Heavy boots armed with spikes weighed down his feet. I wondered how he even got around in those gigantic things. "This is my best friend Lanky. He knows a lot. I thought that the two of you could come up with some sort of explanation for all this," I dismissed Lacey's comment. I wasn't about to repeat that it was impossible to do so and even Lanky sighed in frustration. He must have been dealing with this all night. Poor guy.

"How's Sadie doing?" I switched subjects because the first one was giving me the urge to punch her in the face. I was already pissed off with her today for breaking my nose and now I had to deal with her sudden amnesia as well. I mean I easily fixed my nose with a few herbs and chanting but it still hurt and had a small scar of a white line on the bridge of it.

"She is fine but is still yapping on about how it is her destiny to be a vampire...blah blah blah...how her chances were ruined and yada yada. Absolute BS which I couldn't be bothered hearing one more word of," Lacey rolled her eyes and a big bite out of a slice of pizza that had been sitting next to her. It didn't look fresh but then again I wasn't the one eating it. Even though Lacey seemed like a pain to deal with from little experience gained today and from Lanky's reactions, Sadie was completely insane. I was right to assume that the girl was on a suicide mission.

"Look it was nice to meet you again and you for the first time but I think I should get going. I mean this is a party and we have school later today considering that it is 2 in the morning. I would like to spend my last 4 hours and 45 minutes of freedom with more dancing and less chatting," that wasn't true. I had been dancing non-stop since we arrived so for about 5 hours. My feet were aching and my body needed rest. I just had had enough of this conversation, I was done talking about serious things when I could be laughing my ass off with some stranger. It is 2 in the morning and even though I am a vampire and don't actually sleep, I still can't comprehend full-blown topics which need a lot of kick ass investigating and researching when the sun hasn't even thought of rising.

I shook Lacey's hand and our vines touched, making it hard for me to put the topic to rest. I then shook Lanky's hand and the burning sensation began. This time it was behind my ear and it felt like hot steel being pressed against my skin. I hissed at the pain but didn't any noise a part from that. Lanky clenched his teeth together and also made no sound a part from a heaved breath. Then it was gone and our hands fell to our sides. I felt behind my ear and couldn't make out a thing. The print had already seeped into my skin like ink rather than staying as a scar for a split moment. Lacey gaped at it though.

"What is it?" I grumbled. "It's a skull," she murmured unable to control her shock. I rolled my eyes and looked towards Lanky who I could only see the top of the skull as he looked into his wavy black tee to see something. "Oh my goodness," he exclaimed and when he popped his head back up to see me I saw it.

Three Black Letters.

Mel.

I didn't bother to stay. I just left the two shocked people in the kitchen staring at their imprints. The punch was looking a lot better now then it did before. Spiked or not, I was going for it and I hoped that it was drowning in alcohol. I only had Languages first and even though it was a master class I could already feel the A+ coming.

"Hey, I'm Damien," his voice was minty and he smelt like cigarettes and peaches. "I heard someone has pissed in the punch bowl so you might not want to even risk it," he was right as I put the ladle down in disgust. "I'm Melody and thanks for the save," I shook his hand. What was with me and being so formal to everyone? But then again what else was there to do. If I gave him a high-five that would be weird, if I gave him a fist-bump that would be weird, and if I gave him a hug that would also be weird and uncomfortable.

"Here, I brought a case of Ferna. You can have a bottle if you want," he outstretched his arm holding this glass bottle full of purple soda. His eyes were flames of gold that I kept getting lost in. Opposite to my metallic silver ones that warned people away. Gold meant that he was a shifter but what animal? "Thanks," I mumbled in shyness. I took a sip and the fizz bubbled my tongue. Ah, refreshing.

"I'm the host so it is my job to keep you happy as well as being a Williams boy," he grinned and he looked kind of goofy but it all made sense after he mentioned his last name. William. The Williams Family owned the whole of Tolorem as well as many other territories. They were a prominent wolf pack that went by the name Dark Blood. They were also a royal bloodline of Alpha's, the Williams family were the leaders of the pack meaning that some day this goofy boy that stood before will be my protector one day as the Alpha of the area.

"I can handle myself," I said though and his grin grew wider and seemed to get more dorky. His spiky jet black hair sticking on his olive face with sweat from dancing. "You are pretty attractive for a...witch?" his eyes squinted in question. "Immortal witch but thanks anyway. You aren't too bad yourself wolf boy but nothing special," that was a lie. He was dreamy, goofy and dorky but dreamy. His dorky behaviour though added to his charm. It didn't make him seem fake, it made him feel real when he talked to you. "Please tell me that you are enjoying the party. It was my idea and my room mate keeps reminding me that it is a waste of time and my other one couldn't be bothered so he left before it even started," he seemed like a puppy in the moment so I told him the truth. "I think that it is great. It was a good way to get a whole bunch of people to socialise before school started. People will talk about the epic party they went to and the mistakes they made with a random and how they met the most awesome person in the world there. Even the future a couple will be getting married and will be feeling blessed that you hosted this party so that they could meet," I had to bite my tongue to stop myself from laughing. "Smart ass," he muttered. "The last part was but the rest was true. I mean two people have been holed up in your bathroom for about an hour now."

He shook his head with his eyes closed. "God, I'm going to have to be the one to clean that up," and I nodded my head happily in agreement which he wasn't too thrilled about. "You know, you are alright. I don't tend to like witches," he smiled. "Yeah, well I'm not your average witch," I smiled. "Yeah, you aren't," he agreed.

I wonder if back then he knew. I wonder if he had some twinkle of a hint that I was far from an average witch because I sure as hell didn't. Apparently I was the only one who seemed to not know a god damn thing. Then again I never thought of myself as anything more.