CHAPTER 7: Melanie Asher

ANOTHER day at school had gone by with my last class ending just now. It was spent watching all the girls gushing about Professor. Sabella Cardiff's teacher in training. Harley Jefferson was a tall, lanky guy with nerdy look to him. Pale skin and warm caramel eyes hidden behind hipster reading glasses. A loose, white button-up and faded jeans with a red tie, a heavy brown bag slung around one shoulder. Curly, black locks shading his forehead and brushing his eyes. He kept having to flick it out of his face and the girls all sighed. None paying attention to the diagram of a nightcrawler werewolf on the projector. He barely looked at the students and it made him seem really shy. I was probably the only female to feel something off about him. It was something about his eyes. At the right angle you could see a flash of red and gold. It was only a split second but enough to make me curious. What else did Harley hide from the public eye.

"I was wondering if the report on 'moon effect and manipulation' should include other creatures such as vampires, witches, sirens, et etcetera for some contrast? I feel like it could bring more depth to my essay," I brought the idea up to Ms. Cardiff. "I'm impressed to see that someone is taking their assignment so seriously. I thought that everyone was to distracted by my assistant to notice that they even had an assignment," she giggled, the fringe of her pastel pink hair falling from behind her ear. The roots were a deep brown.

Harley looked over with his face flushed and at first it seemed as if he were embarrassed but then his jaw clicked and the eyes burned with anger at her comment. He then returned to packing up his papers with more aggression this time.

"Yeah, well I'm different from the other girls and plus it's not really his fault that all these girls are staring at him," but she just waved my reply away. She wasn't interested in hearing about whose fault it was because clearly it was hers. As a professor she should have more control of her class whether it is her responsibility or not. "Well, I am going to lend you this book called 'Moon Pool', it should help with the extra explanation you shall be doing. It involves all the creatures that are connected to the moon, even cicaro species," she handed me a thick textbook which was unsurprisingly heavy. "I expect it back when you have completed your assignment," she dismissed me as she sat down behind her desk and started to look through some papers. I left feeling uninspired and unenthusiastic.

I was hallway down the hallway when a voice popped up beside me. "Thanks for trying to defend me. She doesn't like me. She never wanted an assistant for the year but she got stuck with me. She constantly tests me on random shit all the time, it's pushing my last nerve and it is only day two," he lights up a cigarette which looks unnatural with his good boy image but maybe it was a disguise like his eyes. I was going to mention that he isn't permitted to smoke within the learning levels but if he waited to go his dorm then he would be allowed. As a teacher's assistant he already knew all the rules and he knew that he was breaking them so telling him would be a waste.

"What does she test you on?" I enquired, it was nice to have someone walk with me. I don't often get to do it. I usually walk through the halls by myself and even though I didn't trust him something about his company was soothing. "Just random stuff like the author of the book 'Carry On', if you mix a juleix crystal with silsa and queylek you make what? During the most recent dark days who was banished? What kind of a werewolf shifter howls to the spirits of ancients? That kind of stuff," he inhales the toxins deeply and exhales a grey cloud. I was tempted to ask for one. I kept my pack in the dorm room. "Rainbow Rowell. It creates a black liquid which us witches call fox-skin, it's a poison that a lone dark witch would drink for protection against a demon or a vampire. When they drink your blood the tiniest drop will make their skin shrivel and they shall turn to stone before residing to ash. Alice Asher, the first ever Great Dark Witch for committing numerous crimes punishable by death. When the twelve tried to kill her it didn't work because she was too strong for them so she was banished to a dimensional prison world. The last one is a trick question. Two kinds howl to the spirits, Omega's howl to pray for strength against danger, Alpha's howl to mourn the loss of a werewolf shifter. Omega's do it for survival and preservation, Alpha's do it out of respect and kindness.