CHAPTER 10: Midnight Monsters

It was constantly repeated to me. This nightmare was never-ending. Melanie Asher. My supposed great, great, great grandmother appeared to me and told me that this was something I needed to see. It has felt like days as I sit in this state of darkness and I guess she felt the need to entertain me, or maybe educate me.

She had told me about my mother, my true mother, not the perceived picture that I was given. It turns out that my father, Rumplestiltskin was putting images into my head to change the view of her. He did this to all of his children, all of my siblings. Apparently he isn't the person he is thought to be either but according to Melanie it is a tale for another time. Something in not quite ready to hear.

I've been getting my memory back slowly. My mother turned out to hate me because of the powers I was given, another thing I am not ready to hear. I won't go into full detail of every memory but in a few of them she has tried to kill me for this power. I am facing the facts now but I can't quite yet understand the reasons as to why or change the previous images I once had. I have so far only learnt to acknowledge that this is the truth. I fade in and out with these forgotten memories and I haven't told Melanie yet but...I have seen me. I was standing in front of a mirror with my eyes the same as hers when I first met her. Black emptiness where the white once was. A diamond for my iris, hardened with a metallic silver. No pupil. This part was new compared to Melanie; black veins pulsing on my cheeks, my hair flying and twisting like snakes, blood dripping from my mouth.

It is never my blood and I don't know what I have done. Deep down inside me I know that it is something bad. Something that I can't take back but I just don't know who I have hurt and this is what terrifies me.

I am my own monster and I'm not ready to know what I truly am. How many people have I hurt? How many memories have I lost? How many monsters do I keep in my midnight dreams?

Melanie says that I have to unlock my own memories in time. She tried to force one to resurface but it splits into multiple versions and I don't know which one is real. This memory was of a girl who I do not know. Something that I saw from not too far away. She was murdered and I could have easily helped but I didn't. The person who committed this crime is unknown until I unlock it naturally but until then I'm trying to figure out why.

This girl had auburn hair that swung around her knees. Bright green eyes that seemed radioactive by the glow. Her eyes weren't scared as if she knew that this was coming and maybe that is why I am so intrigued. I wanted to know her and how her life got to this point. I want to know what she did.

The faces that were covered in her blood were all familiar. It could have been any one of them. The first I saw was my mother which after all the things I'm slowly learning about her isn't a surprise. However, what was this connection between the two that I never got to know about? The next face belonged to Venus et Caeruleis. The Great Dark Witch who had killed my mother, supposedly, if you could still name a monster after something so endearing. Venus is a dark witch so this is also highly possible. The next was Amorson et Caeruleis, my torturer. This was no surprise but then again a while back I had an image, a resurfacing memory of him crying as he brought me pain. This was the only thing that gave me a bit of doubt as to it being him.

The next faces were the ones that caught me off guard. Lavanei, my evil twin. Even though she is a dark witch she isn't that dark. She is like an evil persons minion, not her own kind mastermind. The next one was Tinker-Bella which was surprising, she was known to have kill people for the SCI but this was out of character. However, not completely something that I can rule out. If it was a SCI mission then it is definitely possible. The last one had me frightened. It was me with those eyes of a sparkling diamond against the midnight sky. The blood around my mouth and feeling empty of emotion.

Then all fear was lost as the sharpness of white invaded my vision. Was I finally waking up? This is it. But then disappointment set in as everything faded back to black. Not today then.