Chapter 17

I sit down in the chair next to him, my hands folded in my lap, I look down to what I'm wearing and freeze praying he's to drunk to notice. I look over at him my breath held in as he stares at the fire and takes another swig of the scotch, more than half the bottle already gone.

He sets the bottle down and picks up another book from the floor throwing it in the fire "these stupid pointless books of yours" he slurs, I look into the tall flame and watch the crisp white pages turn to black and burning red ash, the words disappearing.

He picks up the scotch and I look done on the thing he set it on, on the side-table sits The Great Gatsby and Pride and Prejudice. I gasp, realising this and look over at him, praying I can get the books before he ruins them and along with them, shatters me.

"What happened?" I ask in a hushed tone

He laughs maliciously "it seems that one of my producers backed out, saying I was getting to ambitious with who I choose to partner with" he says

I tilt my head, why would a computer factory refuse to give him supplies just because of who he partners with? "He should know I already have a back up plan if anything happens, I've told him before" he scoffs "idiot" he seems to be talking to himself but I won't pass up an opportunity to get something out of him

"What plan?" I ask with curiosity leaning into him, hoping by my talking to him he won't grab another book to burn

He laughs again "oh you poor pet, you and your dim-whited Father know nothing"

"What are you talking about?" What does my Father have anything to do with this? Does he not know the supplier backed out?

He groans and waves me off taking another sip and setting the bottle on two of the books I cherish most. I swear if he burns Jane Eyre I will go crazy, I look back across the the book case and on the floor. I bend back in the chair not seeing it, I eventually spot the cover all the way in the corner out of his reach and I smile in relief, I love Jane Eyre the most, I've read it about ten times so I thought I'd give Pride and Prejudice a try but I would prefer he not burn anything of mine.

I focus back on Theo now satisfied with the fact that one thing I love is safe. His eyes are focused on the fire "why did you get drunk?" I ask quietly

"I felt like it" he sneers

I frown at him and look at the bottle placed on the books "I think you've had enough" I say reaching for the bottle, my heart pounding in my chest

I grab it but Theo's blood shot eyes dart over to me and he snatched the bottle out of my hand, I hold on tight but he squeezes it out. It flys out of his hand and across the room shattering into a million pieces all over the floor, the liquid left now in puddles, the fires orange light reflecting from it.

It's silent, the only sound is the pounding of my heart and the quiet gasp that escapes my lips. I'm frozen, to scared to even breath.

"I'm-"

I feel a solid firm hand slap me across my cheek, I gasp as my skin tingles and eyes brim with tears. My hair is whipped across my face, my eyes focused on the ground that glows with the fires light.

"You made me spill my drink" he curses, I turn my eyes back to him, tears now running down my cheeks

He turns to me smirking and finally looking at my attire my outfit seeming to change his mood "well don't you look ravishing" he says "not your typical boring outfit-" he says and his smirk grows "are you trying to seduce me?" He asks with a low and loud chuckle