Chapter 1: Always

Chapter 1

I saw him walk down the hall, books in hand, glasses falling off his nose, and head hung low. He never looked up while in the hallway, only when the jocks would tease him and beat him up. I can still see the small bruise on his cheek from last time. I feel sorry for him, honesty. He did nothing to do deserve any of the hatred he gets, yet he takes it with open arms.

My friend Carrie started to laugh at him, but I nudged her in the side. She stopped quickly. His eyes flew up, finding mine. I smiled at him, him only looking back down.

Marcel really seems like a nice guy. I've always thought that, always. He's always had a secret spot in my heart. Yes he's a nerd, but so what? He's a person like everyone else and I have always wanted to get to know him better. To see behind the ties and vests, behind the big framed glasses that were always near his eyes. His hair was always slicked back, grease very prominent from the lights. I wanted to run my fingers through it so bad, to mess up the shape.

"Hello? Danny, wake up!" Carrie screamed in my ear, waving her hand in front of my eyes.

"What?" I asked, finding reality again.

"It's time for class, dummy," she laughed, tugging on my hand down the hallway.

We entered the room as the last two. Mr. Lorenzo wasn't happy at all.

"You're late," he simply said.

"Sorry," Carrie replied, pulling me again.

Two seats were open towards the back, where Marcel always sat. He payed a lot of attention in every class, but stayed in the back so people couldn't pick on him.

"Can I sit here?" I asked him, pointing the chair.

"I guess you have to," he answered, as if ashamed for it.

"Ok," I smiled.

As class began, I could see Marcel scribbling down notes. His hand flew across the page, getting every word in. It's amazing how quickly he can write it all down.

"Class, we have a project that the principal wants us to do. Everyone will have a partner, and since there is an equal amount of boys and girl, you will all be paired that way. It's not a huge project so don't go out and spend loads of money on it, just take it easy and do the best you can," Mr. Lorenzo said. Marcel's hand flew up, him catching his eyes. "Yes, Marcel"?

"Can we pick our partners?" He asked, a thick British tone escaping his lips. I never knew he was British, after all these years.

"No, I have already assigned everyone up. Now, to start. Jenny you're with Austin, Carrie you're with Brad, Danny you're with Marcel..." My mind went blank.

Did he just say I was with Marcel? I get to work with him on project? Like, we spend time together? Oh gosh...

I looked over at him, a faint smile on his plump lips. I smiled back, happy as ever. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.

"Alright, class dismissed."

I grabbed my books, standing up to leave but my arm was pulled. I sat back down with a thud, looking over to see Marcel with his hand still on my arm. He removed it quickly, realizing what he was doing.

"I was wondering what you wanted to do the project on. If I need to get anything or..." he trailed off.

"Well, since this is history class, maybe we could do something on how the British and American's have changed since the Revolutionary War," I said.

"You want to?" He asked.

"Sure!" I smiled.

"No, I meant like you knew all that"?