1. The Announcement

"Okay class! As you know, people all over campus have been talking about the NYU experience project. What you might not know is that this is a school-wide project. Meaning every boy and girl who signs up, no matter what grade, will be attending New York University for a few weeks as part of a real college experiment. You will attend college classes with college students, eat lunch in the college cafeteria, stay in dormitories with a roommate," Mr. Matthews waggles his eyebrows. Many of the girls in the class gag at his reaction. As for me, Maya Penelope Hart, I look at Mr. Matthews yearning for more information. "At the end of your little 'vacation' you will be taken on a tour around the New York City attractions and then driven home. Any questions?" Mr. Matthews asks his first period history class. Immediately, a hand shoots up.

Must be Farkle. I say to myself before even turning around.

"Yes, Farkle?" Mr. Matthews calls on him.

Called it.

"Will we be choosing what level classes will we be attending?" Farkle asks curiously.

"No, Farkle, just normal classes."

Farkle scoffs and returns to scrawling notes in his notebook. I laugh. Farkle is definitely more the advanced type. Even more so in high school. He's already taking three AP courses in his Freshman year, and acing them.

Another hand raises. I turn in my seat (first row, second column if you must know) to face the raiser of the hand. Lucas friar smiles at me, then focuses his attention on Mr. Matthews.

"When do we find out who our roommates will be?"

"That would be after you have signed up of course. To be specific, the day of, Mr. Friar."

Lucas nods and meets my eyes, smiling his Texan cowboy gorgeous smile.

Gorgeous? Focus, Maya!

-------------

"Ooh! I hope Lucas is my partner!" Riley squeals that afternoon. She invited me over for a sleepover that night, seeing as it was a Friday, and, well, here we were. Talking about Lucas. Again.

Lately, all Riley has been talking about is Lucas, Lucas, Lucas. No 'Hey, Maya, how've you been?'. No 'Want to watch a movie? or listen to music?'. Not even 'Let's talk about Farkle.'. Just Lucas and only Lucas. She's got Lucas on the brain. She's Lucas-crazy! She's obsessed.

"Yup." I reply, bored.

"If Lucas and I are roommates, then we'll sleep in the same room! And we would be spending a lot of time together, just talking and hanging out. Maybe he'd even kiss me when we're all alone together. And we'd fall madly in love with each other before the vacations over. He'll get down on one knee while we're in our room for the last time and he'll say," She paused, making in a long, dramatic sigh. " 'Riley! You're the girl of my dreams! Please, please, please. Be my wife!"

"Woah, woah, woah! You can't get married at 15!" I reject her idea quickly, even though Riley isn't talking about our friendship instead of boys, I still don't want her little peaches hopes to get too high.

"Oh, darn, you're right. Okay, here's the revised version." She explains, before adding, " 'Riley! You're the girl of my dreams! Please, please, please, be my girlfriend.' " Riley finished with a wink. I sighed before nodding slightly and returning to reading my NYU magazine.

"Guess what?! It says here that the NYU swimming pool, or should I say pools, are nine feet deep! and, like, half a mile wide! and some jacuzzis are heated and they swirl! Like a whirlpool! It's a fricken paradise!" I say excitedly.

I can't wait for the vacation.

---------------

I hope you guys liked the first chapter. I really think that this'll be an interesting story for you all so stay tuned and ILYGSM❤️

kylie