20. Never Looking Back

I zipped up the my last suitcase and piled it on top of the other two. I grabbed my duffel back and my backpack and groaned, wondering how I was going to get it downstairs and into the bus.

"What is it now, Maya?" Lucas asked, walking into the open living room. So far I had already asked his advice on what to wear, where to put my souvenirs, and if I should wear makeup for the bus ride.

"I don't know what to do with all of these bags!" I whined, flopping down on the couch. Lucas sat down next to me and slipped his arm around my shoulders.

I blushed and smiled,

I love it when I get what I want.

"I told you not to bring so much stuff." Lucas chuckled. I snorted, punching his arm.

"You told me that on the bus ride here. After I could've possibly changed it." I grinned at him. He looked at me and beamed back. Somehow, the way he sounded stupid sometimes was cuter than when he was flirting with me.

"Whoops." He shrugged but the smile resinated on his face.

"Well I still don't know what to do with my baggage." I complained.

I did know actually. I wanted him to carry my stuff so I could stare at his muscles. It's somewhat creepy, yes, but incredibly smart for one of my ideas.

"I'll carry your stuff." Lucas smiled and rolled his eyes.

Yes, I thought. I did a mental fist pump.

"Thank you." I smiled at him. He smirked at me.

Wait, I thought, People don't know we're dating...

"Lucas," I started holding his arm to stop him, "people don't know we're you know..." I trailed off. I glanced at the ground.

"Well it's as good a time as any to tell them. Until now they think that Riley and I are together. We have to make a big show of it so that they know we're serious." Lucas planned. I blushed and looked down.

"We're serious?" I asked quietly. Lucas looked at me fondly.

"Of course we are." He took my hand, with the hand that wasn't occupied with my suitcase. "Okay how about we're late and we come down the elevator and it opens and we're kissing and everyone's watching. Good plan, right?" I blushed.

"Definitely." I told him.

We walk to the elevator and prepare for our performance. He sets our stuff behind us so that they won't see anything but us. The doors shut and we start heading down. He glances up and tucks a strand of hair behind my ear.

Ding.

His lips meet mine and I wrap my arms around his neck. His arms go around my waist and lift me up. Instead of straddling him I lift my knees behind me and he spins me in a circle. Then he set me down and we broke the kiss. But we stayed close to each other, forehead-to-forehead, both of us momentarily forgetting that it was all for show.

The applause shook us back into reality. The entire group was watching. No I don't just mean the majority of the group or most of the group I mean every single person was staring at us. Some people wolf whistled which made me blush and lean against Lucas' chest. Some people said things that I couldn't here. But most people just clapped and smiled. Lucas and I walked out hand-in-hand, Lucas received many claps on the back before we reached Riley and Farkle.

"That was quite the show." Riley winked, slipping her arm through mine. "Very impressive." She admitted.

"Thanks." I blushed and giggled. I received many compliments from passing girls but I honestly don't remember what they all said. I was completely fixated on Lucas. His hand didn't even relax once until we were on the bus sitting down next to each other.

He let go of my hand momentarily so that he could put both his and my luggage into the cabinet above. We sat and just looked at each other for a while, not really noticing or caring that other people were starting to file into the bus.

Neither of us even looked up when the bus was completely full and loud with noise. We both just kept looking at each other.

I looked up when the bus started going and a frown formed on my face.

"I can't believe it's already over. That trip was so much fun. So many good and bad things happened. We happened..." I trailed off. I had a feeling that Lucas knew exactly what I would have said. The bad thing that happened.

Lucas chose to ignore it and keep talking.

"I know. It seems like we were just getting here and now we're leaving again. I don't want to go back to school. And I am not looking forward to making up those Chemistry tests." Lucas sighed. I laughed and leaned my head on his shoulder.

"I'm gonna miss rooming with you," I admitted, "I'll be back with my mom, which means I'm essentially alone all of the time. It was nice to have someone be there all the time." I looked down. Lucas put his hand on my chin and gently pushed it up to look at him. He pressed a soft kiss to my lips, just a short and sweet kiss. But it lingered there for the rest of the ride.

I can't believe how much power he has over me. It's like he can't do anything wrong. His eyes make me melt when I look at them, his smile gives me butterflies, the way he kisses me has me questioning everything. I don't know what I would do without him.

"I feel the same way about you, Penelope." Lucas winked at me. I rolled my eyes and leaned back on my chair.

"I said it out loud again?" I laughed at myself and put my head in my hands.

"You know what, Maya? I love the way you don't know that you say things out loud. It builds to who you are. It shows that you speak your mind, even if it's not intentional." Lucas smiled at me and for a moment he looked like Noah did right before he died. Vulnerable but vaguely calm. I looked away quickly.

"Thank you." I blushed. He wasn't buying it. He said my name and I looked at him, afraid of what I might see. He wasn't mad. He looked at me with sorrow.

"I reminded you of him?" Lucas asked, staring at his feet like his converse were the most interesting thing in the world.

"How did you know?" I ask him. He glances up at me sadly.

"You're expression got dark. I know that he's the only thing that's ever had that power over you." Lucas explained. I'm sure he expected me to look back. To try and locate where the alley was. He and I both knew that if I turned I would see it. I could look back one last time. "It's okay to look back. I don't care." Lucas read my mind. But I didn't. I don't need the satisfaction of turning around.

For the first time in a while my only focus was on Lucas. For the first time in a while I had the self control. For the first time in a while I didn't need to know.

  And for the first time in a very long time, I never looked back.

___________

guys.... that's it! it's over! I ended it with the satisfaction that Lucas and Maya love each and that's the only thing that matters to them, and especially to Maya.

I'm kind of sad that it's over but hey maybe I'll write a sequel eventually.

who knows?

comment / follow / vote

kylie