14. Environmental Science

"Okay, class, I'm Mr. Ben," said the attractive 30 year old science teacher, "and today you'll each be introduced to the art of Environmental Science."

We were standing out in a vast green meadow where most of the snow was washed away, the meadow lead to a huge area of forest with all different colors. It was beautiful.

"You will each choose a partner and find three subjects, which could be a leaf, or an entire tree, or a flower, or anything. You will be expected to have written a page on the differences of your three subjects in the harsh winter. Remember, this assignment is supposed to be easy. Sorry, Farkle. Go!"

This was our first evening class and I was really excited for it. The sun was fairly low in the sky, but it hadn't started to set just yet. Nevertheless I was insanely excited.

"Want to be my partner?" Lucas was already behind me, whispering in my ear.

"Yeah." I smile and blush at his breath on my neck.

"Let's go then!" He yelled excitedly and grabbed my hand, dragging me into the woods.

__________

"Look at all this! It's beautiful!" I grabbed a pile of red and brown leaves and threw them in the air, smiling as they glided down, landing in my hair and the rest on the ground. Lucas chuckled and grabbed a particularly bright red one.

"One down, two to go." Lucas grinned and we walked on. About a half an hour later, we came across a huge oak tree with pine needles littering the ground beneath it. There was a low hanging branch and, instantly, I jumped to it, grabbing it with my hands and swinging back and forth. I pulled my legs up and wrapped my entire body on the branch, koala style. I swung around so I was now on top of the branch and started to climb higher.

"Come on, Heehaw! Don't be a wimp." I yell as I climb higher, branch by branch. Lucas smirks and jumps onto the branch, easily getting on top of it with his muscular arms. He climbs slowly after me, being careful not to fall. "The slower you climb, the farther behind you get!"

"I'm going to beat you!" Lucas yells after me.

"Not a-" I stop. There was a hole in the leaves and through that hole I saw a beautiful sunset. Vibrant red and soft orange glittered the sky and the cloud were blending in with the amazing colors and the sun seemed to wink as it dipped down under the horizon, out of sight.

"What is it?" Lucas asked, finally next to me, "Woah." His mouth hung open slightly, in awe of the sunset's beauty.

"Yeah." I agreed, leaning in closer to him. He looks down at me and I lift
my chin to see him. He pecks my lips and I blush. "We should probably be heading back now?" I say, although it's more of a question.

"Yeah maybe we should." Lucas says, still looking into my eyes. "Or we could go explore some more." He smirks.

"Absolutely."

__________

We ran through the darkening woods, crumpling leaves underneath our feet as we sprinted around. We just laughed and ran, having the time of our lives.

"Lucas it's getting kind of dark." I commented, trying not to sound afraid, even though I was. Just a little bit.

"I'll protect you from the boogie man, Maya." Lucas laughed and wrapped an arm around my waist. "Besides," He took out two flashlights from his pocket, "why let the dark ruin all of our exploring?" He tossed me a flashlight which I caught easily. I clicked the button and a bright light flashed the decaying orange and brown leaves on the forrest floor. Another light appeared next to mine as Lucas clicked on his flashlight as well. "Ready to go adventure?"

"Duh!" I squealed and ran off, crumpling more and more leaves under my step than ever.

I stopped suddenly and picked up a huge armful of leaves. I heard Lucas running after me and hid behind a tree, flicking off my flashlight. When he was right my way I threw all of the leaves at him and ran off in the opposite direction. I heard a familiar chuckle. I laughed as I ran, my hair whipping behind me as the wind ran through it. I looked behind me to see if he was following me but saw no one. I stopped listening for the sound of footsteps, but heard nothing. Desperate as I was, I sniffed the air, hoping for the faint smell of his personal cologne. Nothing. My flashlight flickered over a shiny object buried beneath the leaves. I picked it up, studied it, then dropped the thing in terror.

Another knife? Why?

I started to hyperventilate, not knowing where I was. My phone buzzed in my pocket, making me jump. Lucas thank gosh.

Huckleberry:
Maya, where are you? I have't seen you since you ran off.

Wait what?

Maya 💜:
What? I just threw a bunch of leaves on you???

Huckleberry:
Shine your flashlight all around you. Blink it a couple times. I need to find you.

Maya 💜:
Okay...

I did as I was told. Soon I heard footsteps running towards me, another flashlight shown through the trees and suddenly Lucas was there, wrapping me tightly in his arms.

"Oh my gosh, I thought I lost you." He whispered with a shaky voice.

"I'm sorry I ran off. I was just having fun." I almost sobbed, clutching on to him for dear life.

"It's not your fault. It's mine. I should have followed you instead of texting Farkle." Lucas looked mad and disappointed with himself all in the same face.

"No. It's not your fault. It's neither of ours fault, Okay? Do not beat yourself up about this." I pleaded. "Look at me, Lucas!" I yelled pulling his face towards me. He didn't turn his face. "Lucas!" I say louder. He didn't budge. I wrenched his face towards me and kissed him softly, for no longer than three seconds. "Believe me. It was not your fault." I nuzzled my face into his neck. "Can we please go?" I whispered.

He nodded and we walked away.

__________

Back in the hotel room we were in our comfy clothes as we snuggled on the couch in front of the (fake) fireplace. I couldn't help but think that I wanted this for us. Forever. Suddenly, a thought popped into my mind.

"Hey, what did you mean when you said you hadn't seen me since I ran off? I threw leaves on you, remember?" I explained. Lucas looked extremely confused.

"You didn't throw leaves on me..." He said, trying to remember.

"But I heard you laugh." I said.

"Maya, I had no idea where you were the entire night."

"So then who–" I stopped. I remembered the shimmering object I found underneath the leaves. I flashed back to the night at the ice rink in the dark room. Where I had found the same thing. There was only one thing that could have possibly inter lapped with these two scenarios. 

"Noah." I breathed heavily. "Noah was here tonight." I gasped, realizing the worst news of it all. "He was following me... He found me."

__________

I know I know lots of confusing things going on but hey I'm kind of proud of this chapter. It mixed romance in with adrenaline and fear all at the same time. I mean you guys might not like it but I'm kind of proud of myself

anyways

comment / follow / vote

kylie