2. Roommates?

I look down at Riley's arm linked in mine and nervously inhale. We were about to find out who our partners were going to be for the next few weeks of our high school lives and I'm not going to lie...I was really stressing out. What if it isn't a guy I know? What if it actually is a random guy who doesn't speak? What if I spend my NYU experience in misery?

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Mr. Matthews standing on the podium in the assembly room and tapping the microphone to get our attention. The side conversations and laughing slowly died down and everyone directed their full attention to my history teacher.

"Hello, everyone!" Mr. Matthews greeted. There were faint 'hello's and 'hey's and one 'sup' somewhere in the midst of responses. "I'm sure you are all very anxious and are dying to find out who your new roomie is for the next month!" There was a chorus of clapping and whooping from the crowd before the noise died down again. "Well, I have them right here." Mr. Matthews holds up a small white piece of paper. "Piper Johnson with Thomas McCurdy. Joel Smith with Brian West. Cassidy Thompson with Luke Hollister..." Mr. Matthews went on to explain the rest of the Seniors' partners, next the Juniors', then the Sophomores', and finally he came to the Freshmen. "Okay, Freshmen, first is...Camille with Dave. Yogi with Darby. Sarah with Isaiah. Uhm, Maya Hart with..."

Here goes nothing. I think while crossing my fingers on both hands and squeezing my eyes shut for good measure.

"Lucas Friar."

I breath a sigh of relief.

At least it's not a random stranger.

"What?! How could you dad?" Riley whisper-screams, obviously not to her dad, more to herself actually. Riley glares at the ground, not daring to look at me with her rage-filled eyes.

"Riley Matthews with Farkle Minkus."

"Looks like you're with me, roommate." Farkle announces and drags Riley in the other direction. I stand in the huge crowd of people standing outside our school in the cold winter air all alone. My large brown jacket with the fuzz on the inside keeps me warm on this January day.

"So, we're roommates." Lucas greets me. I smile and nod my head, too cold to actually open my mouth and speak just then.

"Yeah, Huckleberry, nothing gets past you." I tease. He chuckles and wraps a single arm around my shoulders, rubbing my arm.

"You look cold." He whispers in my ear. His warm breath sending shivers down my spine.

"Yeah, Sherlock, I am." I laugh, my breath coming out like smoke in the cold sky.

"Do you want my beanie?" He slides off his black hat and slips it on my head, the warm hat fitting perfectly on my blonde curls. "You look great." Lucas laughs. I smile and nod, not really believing him. But when it comes to compliments I never really believe anyone anyways so what's new.

"I believe they're making us sit together on the bus." Lucas explains apologetically.

"You sound like you're apologizing." I state.

"It's just, I didn't know of you wanted to sit with me. I mean you are way cooler than me." Lucas explains quietly. I blush, flattered that he thinks I'm actually cool.

"I'd be honored to sit with you, Ranger Rick." I laugh, rubbing his arm to comfort him. He looks up at my touch. He stares at the spot where my hand had been moments before. Before either of us could say anymore, Mr. Matthews had finished calling partners and was now ushering us onto the three buses which had been waiting for us to enter the entire time. Lucas and I chose the first bus to sit on because we would be the first to enter the wonderful city.

As soon as the buses begin to move, some random Sophomore breaks into song. Soon the whole bus, excluding Lucas and I of course, is singing along. I groan in agony. Lucas chuckles and covers my ears with his mittened hands.

This was going to be one long trip.