Chapter One [Edited]

Chapter One.
Lacey's POV.

I turn the page of Christopher Marlow's Doctor Faustus as I wait for the first bell to sound. I'd set off a bit earlier than necessary this morning as it's my first day, which unfortunately means that I arrived before most students and even some teachers. I decided to go to the library to start reading for Literature class. Afterall I'm behind on school work.

Sighing I close the book, sliding it into my bag; I should start looking for my first class now, I suck at following directions and this building is huge. I take to the halls, the heavily packed halls. I'm terrible with new places, I can never remember where I'm supposed to go, no matter how detailed the directions are. I'm even worse when I have to navigate through a crowded space.

I turn a corner, one I swear I just turned and sigh. I have no idea where I am, or where I'm meant to be going. This whole school looks the exact same everywhere. The once loud hallways slowly settled into an irritating buzz. Gritting my teeth in annoyance, I take a deep breath and begin walking again, my head down and earphones in. My aim at this school is not to stand out too much, being new and having quite the distinct look is bad enough, without starting any unnecessary school drama for myself.

Suddenly I'm jerked back, my already aching body colliding with the cool floor. I wince, biting my lip to suppress the pained groan threatening to escape and begin picking up my bag, stuffing all the loose items back in, before standing and dusting myself off. "What the fuck?!" I breathe out in annoyance at the huge guy stood in front of me. "I'm sure there should have been an apology in there somewhere." The guy says, glaring down at me with clear disdain. "Yeah coming from you! You can't just walk into people." I roll my eyes, mentally telling myself to just back down and get to class but I'm irked when he chuckles humourlessly. "No sweetheart. I think you'll find you walked into me. Now, I'll take your bewildered look as an apology and let it slide this once." He says and I clench my jaw tightly in annoyance. "Fuck you. Asshole." I mutter under my breath and give a final glare before walking past him; I stop and walk back despite my better judgement and slap him hard across his cheek before finally walking off, being sure to bump him accidentally with my shoulder on my way past. So much for a low profile.

The warning bell rings and I cry out in frustration. I can do this. I pull the map from my back pocket and scan over it quickly, trying to locate the nearest set of stairs. Suddenly, my heart begins to beat frantically against my chest and my palms become clammy. The paper map falls from my hands and floats towards the floor as I close my eyes and take a deep breath trying not to let my emotional state get the better of me. I slowly lean down to pick the paper up and cry out again in both pain and frustration. My ribs burn and my wrist throbs, and my interaction with the big guy hasn't exactly helped.

I try to keep myself calm, I've only just got myself out of the hospital two days ago and now I'm going to end up back in there. I'm clearly not ready to be back around people, especially not in school. But I pushed for this. I wanted to experience a normal life. I fumble for my phone in my bag and use the speed dial to call my only emergency contact. "Lacey, what's wrong?" Jax asks worriedly and I sigh before telling him the truth... well most of it. "I'm having a panic attack and I'm in a lot of pain," I say and he sighs, I hope he's not mad... "Schools are supposed to be safe. I can't come to get you yet. Shall I call 911? Or get someone from school to take you to the hospital?" He asks and I sigh."No, I'll sort it. I think I can still drive. I'll call you when I've seen the doctor." I say slightly breathlessly. I start coughing and wheezing and I hear the panic in Jax's voice. "Lacey! Are you ok?" He asks and I mumble out a reply. "Be safe. Share your location with me." He says and I quickly hang up.

Determined to steady my feet and get to the hospital, I take a deep breath and slowly begin walking, trying to find the parking lot. Or just any exit I can use.

I reach the parking lot, my '67 Chevy Impala finally in sight. Taking a deep breath I wince and whimper as a shooting pain runs from my ribs to my hand. I need to get to the ER now. Fumbling for my keys I begin to make my way towards my car in slow steps, trying to shake the unnerving feeling I'm being watched. I'm thousands of miles away now... it'd be too hard to find me this quick. I make it into my car, after more cries of pain, and heave a heavy sigh of relief... which is short lived. My eyes catch a familiar and questioning gaze and I gulp. What is he doing here? He should be in lessons instead of in the parking lot, although he's probably thinking the same thing about me. God, I hope he forgets about this by the time I'm back. Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, trying to remember the route to the hospital. I put the car in gear and speed off towards the ER, hell-bent on getting there before I pass out. I know it's dangerous but I don't have much choice here.

~~*~~

I groan at the itch under the tight bandage, the scratchy fabric only serving to exacerbate the itch. Sighing I take the painkillers I've been prescribed before heading downstairs and into the kitchen where Jax is leaning against the counter. "Hey sweetheart, how's everything?" He asks and I roll my eyes. "Just peachy." I say playfully; he sighs and places his hands up in defence. "They'll still be sore for a few days. Just take it easy." He says and I nod. "The tattoos all happened at once, and I was beaten up. I just never expected this level of discomfort." Jax nods in understanding. "And my ego is bruised, having a panic attack before the first period." I frown slightly, rubbing my side slightly in an attempt to ease the pain. "Did you ask for more sleeping tablets?" He asks and I nod slightly, thinking for a moment. "Yeah, they gave me more. They want to do a follow up in a month or so." I say and he smiles, placing his hand gently on my shoulder. "You did good kiddo, I'm proud of you." He says and I smile slightly. "On another note, fancy Chinese for dinner?" He asks and I nod eagerly, allowing him to order our usual. We've had takeout the past few days, having only just moved in and we haven't really gone grocery shopping yet.

We sit on the couch together, eating our Chinese and watching TV. Well, Jax is watching TV, some police drama, while I read a novel. I tuck my legs under me, leaning my left elbow on the couch arm, my head leaning on my hand. My eyes skim the words on the page, smiling slightly as I lose myself in the novel. In the helpless romance.

"Jax?" I ask, breaking the silence and putting my book down on the table. "Yeah?" He asks and I look at him. "I'm sorry we had to move again. I fucked up real bad this time." I say feeling my eyes well up, tears threatening to fall. "Don't say that. It wasn't your fault. Please don't blame yourself." He says and I sigh sadly, tugging my bottom lip between my teeth. "I'm sorry. I know this has been tough on you and I know I'm... sorry." I downcast my gaze, pulling at the end of my top. "I know it has been hard and I just... I feel bad." I say and he grabs my hand gently, making me look at him. "What has happened, happened. We can't stop or change that. It happened for a reason. I know you blame yourself but that needs to stop right now. We're going to settle in here, make it work here. Low profile. Avoiding drama as much as possible." He says gently squeezing my hand. "Don't threat. I'm here to protect you." He says with a sad smile which I return with my own. I stand up collecting my stuff. "I'm going to head up to bed. Goodnight Jax." I say with a tired smile as I peck his cheek. "Goodnight. Oh and Lacey, one last thing. We will find him." He says with raw determination and I offer him a weak smile. "I know." Is all I say back before making my way up to my own room. We will find him. Will we?