Chapter Eight.

Chapter Eight.
Lacey's POV.

The party is in full swing, people grinding on one another. I'm playing safe this time and sitting in a corner with Jamie and Alexa, being our usual "boring" stuff. I hold a red cup, but I've been holding it for half an hour and the liquid is probably warm by now. I'm not interested in drinking, I'd rather just go home. Denver pulls Jamie up to the makeshift dance floor.

In the space of five minutes, both Jamie and Alexa have been whisked away by guys, and now I'm sat alone. I have no interest in the people around me. I can tell Jamie is having fun, she's not going to want to go so soon, she needs this. Placing my cup on the counter, I slip my jacket on, heading for the front door.

My footsteps echo on the pavement, but so does someone else's, someone whose getting close. My heart rate speeds up, my stomach clenches and as I feel them closer I spin round sending a kick to their gut. A groan echos and the person looks up and its... Seth? "Well that was uncalled for." He groans and I giggle nervously. "Sorry... I erm... don't scare a girl like that!" I finally say. "Usually girls cry or at worst slap you, not full force kick you in the gut." He says straightening up. "That wasn't full force." I mutter inaudibly. "What?" He asks and I shake my head. "Nothing." I say louder this time. "What were you doing following me anyway?" I ask and he sighs. "I saw that you'd left and I wasn't about to let you walk home when you're alone and so I came to offer you a lift." He says and I roll my eyes. "You've been drinking, so thanks for the offer, but not thanks." I say and he shakes his head. "I haven't drank anything, and nor have you I've seen." He says and I sigh. "Once again you're not taking no for an answer are you?" I ask and he chuckles. "Not in this life time." He says leading me to his car. I get in and smile. "You know the '67 Mustang was my second choice, but I feel in love with the Impala." I say and he chuckles. "It is quite the decision. I can see why you went for the Impala." He says and I nod, smiling. "You want to go straight home? Or...?" He asks and I sigh. "All my stuff is still at Jamie's." I say and he nods. We suddenly end up infront of Jamie's house. "Spare key is on top of the doorframe." He says and he was correct. I unlock the door and rush upstairs collecting my stuff and I leave a note before heading back to Seth's car. "Yours?" He asks and I shrug. "Best get you back to the party." I say and he shakes his head. "I haven't been there long but everyone is already too drunk." He says and I nod. "Where were you?" I ask and he shrugs. "Nowhere important." But I can tell it was important. "Okay..." I say and he sighs. "Meaning I don't want to go back there, and there's nothing to do at home." He says and I nod. "Whatever." I say and he groans but continues driving. We drive about half an hour and pull up at a beach? "What are we doing here?" I ask and he shrugs. "Figured it'd be nice." He says and I smile. "Thanks. I should text Jax and... shit! Where's my phone?" I say and groan. "Dropped it at the party?" He asks and I nod. "I'll get it for you later." He says and I nod. "Thanks." I say and we begin walking on the beach together. I don't talk, thinking instead about my past.

When I was younger, my parents had brought me to the beach, woken me up at ten pm, telling me they had a surprise. It was bonfire night, but I was only six ish, so I'd gone to bed. We drove for about an hour and we came to the beach. They got me a drink and some sweets and by the time that was done the few of us here gathered on the beach. Everything was silent, when suddenly a loud bang sounds making me jump and squeal, frantically shaking my moms arm. "Its okay baby, look." My moms voice says calmly and I gasp as I take in the array of colours that fills the sky. Hues of blues, greens, pinks and reds. The blues slowly faded into the deep black sky - which seems to swallow all audible sounds around -, the greens faded into the trees on the cliff, the pinks and reds clashing in a colourful battle for attention, floating down until one wins. "Higher daddy!" I giggle wanting to be closer to them. My mom releases my hand as my dad lifts me onto his shoulders. I giggle when he spins us around under the dazzling fireworks, the cold wind unnoticeable to my exited six year old self. By then I'm pretty sure I'd left my mark on the beach in the way of midget gems, during one of the bangs, I'd gone to clap and dropped probably half a bag over daddies face, mommy laughing while she attempts to get candy floss in my mouth and not in daddies hair. I'd tapped his head with sticky candyfloss fingers and gasped at the love heart shaped firework that began to crack and fade slowly, then all at once. "I love you princess." He said and I giggled. "I love you more daddy! I love mommy too!" I said back and he kissed my hand slightly. "Mommy loves you too baby." My mom had said and I'd smiled as she kisses my other hand tentively. I'd heard the words so many times but they warmed me inside, little did I know how much I'd come to miss them three little words.

Sounds around me come back into focus and I see Seth stood before me, his large hands grasping my arms firmly. "And she's back down on earth. Have fun in Lacey land?" He asks chuckling and I shake my head. "Not really." I mutter before shaking my head. "I should really get back." I say and he nods. Back to his usual stoic self I see.

I get back into his car and wait patiently for him to drive away. He begins driving and nothing but static buzzes through the radio. "Plug my phone in and play whatever you want." He says handing me his phone, unlocked. I put Asia Heat of the Moment on making him chuckle. "You really are different. I thought only I listened to these kind of bands." He says and I nod smiling. I begin singing along, we gain a few odd looks from passing drivers, but obviously being me I'd forgotten that we've got Halloween makeup on, though now I doubt its the thirty first anymore.

We sing loudly, and probably very out of tune, to the songs on probably my favourite playlist ever. Seth's hands tap on the steering wheel, mine against my leg and I find myself enjoying his company. I mean the first time we met he was an ass, he unintentionally re-broke my ribs and reinjured my hand, and any other time, he's been stoic and complex, rarely opening up or smiling. Hell I don't think I've ever seen him genuinely laugh at something funny.

We pull up outside my house and I sigh quietly. "Thanks for the ride and... thanks for tonight, I had a laugh." I say softly and he gives me a sort of half smile. "I'll get your phone to you as soon as." He says and I nod, my smile disappearing as I realise my stupid mistake. "Yeah, thanks for that." I say giving him a quick nod. He says something else, but I don't quite catch it, leaving as soon as when I spot Jax stood at the window, waiting patiently for me to get inside.

I walk in and for once, I allow myself to accept the comfort of Jax. I sink into his side, feeling my eyes become glassy. He doesn't expect an explanation, only offers me a brief moment of comfort. My hands clutch his shirt in my fists as I attempt to steady my breathing. "We'll talk about why you didn't answer my texts tomorrow, go on up and take a shower." Jax says and sigh but nod, giving him one last hug before heading up the stairs, ready for a nice warm shower.

I take my sleeping tablet, laying on my bed with my laptop laid on my stomach, Supernatural playing quietly in the background. My gaze flits to the corner of my laptop screen, only four thirty. I can't even play a game on my phone, because I was an idiot and lost it at the party. Turning on my side I groan and turn my lamp back on, the small amount of light illuminating the window. I move to the window seat with my book and begin to read once again. I've nearly finished the book, I reckon I could have it finished by five am.

Placing the now finished book onto one of my already packed shelves, I make my way back to the window seat. I could do with a break from all this shit going on. Get away from everything, from the lies and the fear of things to come, and just relax. Sighing I open the calculus text book and groan. "Fuck me." I say at the mumbo jumbo on the page.

Jax walks in after knocking and I smile at him. "Fancy doing something?" He asks and I nod, slamming the textbook shut. "Then what would you like to do?" He asks and I think for a moment before grinning at him. "Bake!" I say as we walk downstairs, chuckling. "Bake what them little miss excitable?" He asks and I'm already pulling ingredients out of cupboards. "Red velvet cupcakes!" I say, like it was obvious. He shakes his head chuckling and reached the flour, which had stupidly been placed on the top shelf.

We begin mixing various items together, laughing and singing along to AC/DC Back in Black. I crack an egg perfectly and cheer loudly. "That was nothing!" He says and, in true Jax style, attempts to show off and fails miserably. "Not you got shell in the mix!" I scold, shooing him away with my hands as I attempt to get the shell out of the cake mix.

We put the mix in the oven and I sigh, looking at the mess we made. "Alright, you can clean this up, I'll go shower." I say running to the stairs. "Not so fast young lady!" He says but I don't miss the smile he adorns. "Its in my hair and... ewwww!" I mimic what I imagine Ruby would sound like and he shakes his head in disappoint, I take that as my cue to leave and rush into my bathroom, more than ready to shower.

I listen to Asia, Heat of the Moment whilst I brush my teeth and sort my hair out. I can't help but sing along as I brush the massive knot from my hair. How did that even happen? I mean I didn't even sleep, so it can't be from tossing and turning. Shaking my head I walk into my room and quickly dress in sweat pants and a simple long sleeved black top before heading back to the kitchen to see Jax just finishing with the cleaning up. "You've done me proud. Looks good. Let's go watch TV." I say walking into the living room and plopping down onto the couch. "I don't want to dampen your mood, but we need to talk about last night." Jax says and I sigh. It was coming sooner rather than later. Just tell him the truth... he won't be that mad.