21

"I thought we talked about picking up extras along the way, Macallister." Gina raised an eyebrow. She gripped her gun tightly.

"What can I say. I have to help the kids," he shrugged.

"Right." She sighed. "The Third Party isn't interested in charity right now. The kids can have their help after we reach our goal. Only then will they be saved."

"The kid was an accident," Macallister explained. "He was in the wrong place at the wrong time."

"And now we have two extra mouths to keep shut. I should have just drugged the two and brought them here like I had planned." she snapped. She was referring to Sage and Jericho as the unneeded. The thought of her drugging Archer and I made me shiver. She smiled at them. "No offense. I know you will keep it shut or I will put a bullet in you to do it for me."

"Yes, Sargent," Jericho saluted.

"You're not part of the Forest's Army any more," there was a glint in Gina's eyes. "Although, I suppose your talents could be useful to us. We are mostly made of brains but brawn will work as well."

"The Third Party," I whispered to myself.

"We're everywhere," Gina lowered her gun. Several others in the room followed. "We're in the city, the forest, and we are here. We can control everything."

"So why would you need us?" Archer interjected.

Gina laughed. "Don't you see? You two were part of the generation that is the new young adults. We need someone they can relate to and they recognize. We need you to give them inspiration and the push towards a new society. You two will be what helps them move forward."

"And why wouldn't you be able to do that yourself if you're so smart?" Jericho asked. She was irritated. Once again, Archer's fate was paired up with mine and it did not include her. She could not be me.

"Because," she shook her head at Jericho in disappointment. "They can not relate to us. Humans usually bond better with those closer to their own age. That, and, the older generation will never change. But, the new one can. And anyone under eighteen is a little too young to rely on. Their alliance will vary depending on who is winning."

"Not true," Sage said. His eyes widened with surprise as if he had not meant to speak.

"And who might you be?"

"5022. Also known as Sage."

"Interesting. Remi, weren't you originally 4522?" She laughed. "He's exactly five hundred children from you. How amusing. I am curious though, why would you think it's not true?"

"Because Remi told me everything I have ever wanted to hear."

"Did she?" Gina winked with a smile at me.

"Yes. She talked of freedom."

"Remi," she said. "You already know your place is to start the fire and let t burn through the city. Good job on getting started early."

Her compliment was genuine but something about the way she said it caused goosebumps to raise up along my arms. I could tell she was set on her goal and I just hoped that our goals would turn out to be the same.

"Now you just need to convince everyone else to follow along."

I nodded.

*

*

The grey building was plain with very few windows. It was a few stories tall and did not have much in it other than several different people and lots of computers. I sat with Gina, Macallister, and Archer. Jericho and Sage had been momentarily sent away from our meeting. We sat in white plastic chairs at a glass table. Gina sat across from me with her hands clasped together on the table.