49

Bodies. Bodies falling to the street. 

I suppressed a scream as Archer pulled me through the crowd. I could tell the majority of people had not used a weapon, or had not experienced violence, before that moment. There were more Officers present, that were against us, than I had been expecting. With one hand, Archer pulled out a hand gun and fired. My ears rang as he shot several times in the direction of the Officers. My eyes widen with horror as three hit the ground. Blood began to leak from their wounds. None of their comrades stopped to help them. 

The two of us ran down the street, trying to get to the hall of Knowledge. Jericho would be there with reinforcement. Or, at least, I hoped she would be. We needed The Third Party and the Forest as much as they needed the City's citizens. I took notice of the fact that some of the citizens were siding with the Officers, with the order that they knew and trusted. I wanted to shout at them that there was a better way, a better life, but it would mean nothing to them. If we could not reach them before then there would be no way. They believed in their side as much as I believed in ours. They felt the safety in never changing. They would not see our side unless we won. 

It was just the start but loss was already dominating. It was too late to go back. 

More shots. The sky was dark and grey but it was not water raining down. 

"Stay low," Archer shouted loud enough for me to hear. People were screaming and shouting at each other. The scene before us was nothing but chaos. An older man in front of us turned for our help. He had been shot in the chest, not close enough to the heart for the death to be quick. I reached out to catch him as he pitched forward. He was heavier than me, and I nearly went down with him. He let out another shriek in my arms as a bullet bit into his back. His eyes rolled and the man, whose number I never knew, died right then.  

"Remi," Archer grabbed me away from the deceased man. He looked me over as we crouched down low. "You're lucky that bullet didn't go through him."

It had not occurred to me that something like that could happen. I knew next to nothing of guns. 

"We need to get moving," Archer grabbed me again. "We have to get to the Hall of Knowledge."

"Meet Jericho and shut it down," I finished for him. 

We scanned the crowed that had formed. It was growing difficult to see through them. They were fighting. More citizens appeared despite the deaths. Officer's and citizens were fighting hand to hand. A black uniform of an Officer ran towards me. My heart thundered. My hands shook as I tried to grab one of the knives attached to my thigh. Fingers tingling, I could not hold the grip I needed to pull it from its holder. Out of bullets, the Officer began to reach for me as if he would strangle me with his bare hands. I let out a shriek as I tried to cover my face from an attack I knew I could not defend myself against. 

The crack of gun shocked me. I opened my eyes to see the Officer on the ground,  a piece of his head missing, and his eyes were wide open and lifeless before me. Blood moved sluggishly along the asphalt towards my feet. My mouth hung wide at the site. Archer had killed the man to protect me.

Once again Archer's hands found mine and pulled me along. We tried our best to go along the outskirts of the fighting but Officer's, and Citizens that did not believe in our cause, were targeting us. Archer defended me with the swiftness and strength he had been trained for years to have. I had no idea how to help him, not that he needed it. I would only get in the way. I felt out of place in the rebellion I helped create and unable to assist.

Two men struggled against each other for a single gun. Firing useless shots into the air during their grappling. I ducked down, heart pounding. Anything could go wrong within the crowed. It was nothing but a mesh of blood, bodies, and uncontrolled chaos.