45

I cleared my throat. My hands shook uncontrollably as I leaned closer, almost running my chin into the microphone. Suddenly, the words I had been confident about seemed to lose all of their meaning. I had to speak anyway. 

"Citizens of the City," I began. "This is an important announcement from those who intended to relieve you of your chains and the City's control. You have seen our messages, read our papers, and some of you have even taken your own stand. Today is the day that we ask all of you to have the courage to do the same."

I kept reading despite my nervousness clouded with doubt. Not only was I reading on behalf of The Third Party and their beliefs; but, my voice was also to distracted the Officer's from discovering our secret weapon, the trained members from the Forest. I could not falter, no matter what. I would not let their lives be put at risk. 

"I have seen life differently than you have been allowed. There is more than schedules and rules. There is freedom." I let the word hang a moment in the air. "Imagine being free to be yourself without being dictated. That can be you, and we can make it happen, but not without your help.

 No one is controlling you that exists today. You are following old rules that are being held up through nothing but routine and fear. Say no to the system, say no to fear. Officer's, we ask that you stop killing the innocent who are guilty of nothing more than having individuality. The order's you receive each day are nothing more than programed order's from a computer."

I swallowed the spit in my mouth that had begun to collect. I was sweating but Archer continued to hold my hand. 

"We are here for you," I said. "And we will not be controlled. Let's start a riot."

With a click Sage shut the radio off and I let out a sigh of relief. All I could hope for was that it had been enough to push the people the way we wanted and that those in the tunnel had entered safely. The four of us sat in silence, perhaps the last few moments of silence we would ever hear. Part of me had expected raging citizens in the streets moments after my speech but I knew that would not happen. They needed time to gather their thoughts and sort their feelings. I had, after all, asked them to put their lives on the lines without even knowing who they were fighting for. But, they knew what they were fighting for and all we could do is cross our fingers that it would be enough. 

"Don't worry," Archer's hand rested lightly on my shoulder. "They heard you and they will take action." 

"Hopefully sooner than later," Macallister concluded. He uncrossed his arms, which had been tensely held up in front of him, and began speaking with Sage privately. 

I stood up from the equipment and walked towards them. I would not allow for them to leave me out of the conversation. 

"What?" I said as I approached. Sage moved over to create a triangle shape between the three of us. 

"I was talking with Sage," Macallister said, obviously. "About how to shut down the power to the Birthing building. They will be creating more children in tubes any day now, preparing for the nine month wait till selection day, and I want to stop it."

"Since we can't have children," Sage said. "We need to gain that building first. The last thing we need is for more to be born sterilized."

"If they keep being born without the capabilities of reproduction then we will die out," Macallister explained. "Much faster than you think we would." 

"And how do you plan to make them fertile again?" I asked. The thought of not being able to have my own children the way they did in the Forest depressed me. I had known long enough to accept the truth but time had not made it easier. 

Macallister and Sage looked at each other. 

"I hacked into their system," Sage admitted. My eyes widened. We had not known who we had brought with us by accident when we had first met him, but the young teen had proved to be one of the most useful people we had. "There is a selection that is still available, just in case, that they keep freezed. All of those selections will allow us to breed back natural reproduction."

"The efforts will be slow," Macallister said. "And we will have to create them the same way, in tubes, for a while before it becomes a success." 

I nodded. I hoped they knew what they were doing. What point would it be to fight a war if we were only setting ourselves up for extinction. "When are we doing this?"

"Now." Sage said quickly as he looked up at the clock. He scurried over to a computer sitting on a desk and started pressing buttons. 

"Now?" I nearly shouted. "I thought we were just planning this?"

Macallister smiled sheepishly. "Only half of the people that were picked up on the Forest will be heading here. The other half is already on their way there. You already felt so much was at stake that I didn't want you to feel any more pressure." 

All I could do was stare at him. I had only been aware of half the plan, and the other half of the plan had been a major event. Sage frantically pressed buttons on the computer as I continued to gape. Part of me was angry and part of me was grateful.  

"Now that you know, though, it would be greatly appreciated if you would get back on that radio and cause some more chaos."

"Right," I said breathlessly. "Just speak about?"

"Anything. Something that would make you angry, make them angry, anything you want. Wing it."

"Wing it." I said wide eyed before heading back to the machine. Sage quickly turned it on, returning back to his work at hand, before I had a chance to clear my throat. Panic filled up my entire being. I encouraged myself in my head. Archer, who had no idea what was happening took the seat next to me and I, once again, felt gratitude for having him with me. 

"Have you ever wondered," I began. "What it would be like to have someone you could hold in your arms? A loved one, like a child? Your child. Now, ask yourself why you do not have that. I am here to tell you that having your own children is natural and your right if you had chosen to do so. But, that love and privilege has been taken from you. 

Is living alone, without something to love, worth not standing up against this system? I think not. There are many children who will need homes and someone to take care of them when this is over, and it will be over, when we win. If you will not stand up for yourselves then I ask you, will you stand up for others?"

Another click turning the radio off as I leaned back in the chair. 

"It's shut down," Sage announced. "They are heading in."